Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Why is it so hard for pizza places outside of New York to duplicate New York style pizza?

I'm on vacation here right now and I can't believe the difference.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

My understanding, as another person mentioned, is that it is particular to the water available in New York. The water contributes to the consistency of the dough which is apparently very unique. Unless a pizza place has the water shipped in (some do, like "NYPD Pizza" in Arizona), evidently it will not be the same.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

NY has been the immigrant capital of the USA for more than a century.That includes many Italian immigrants,who are pretty keen on making tomato sauce,dough,and cheese.Not only that,but NY water is some of the best in the USA. I've tasted pizza in other states (CA,AZ,NJ,NM) and none can compare.

• Coal fired ovens

That is some nasty crap

• Janet
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There is no reason why it SHOULD be difficult.

Different places have different styles for foods, and it isn't that people outside of New York CANNOT make New York-style pizza.

It's that people in these other places go to restaurants that make the pizza that they DO make, so there is no incentive to try to make pizza differently.

I've eaten pizza in New York. It's good.

But the pizza in Naples, Italy is far better.

In MY opinion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

instead of whining, how about you embrace the difference.

Everything doesn't have to be exactly the same everywhere.

How boring that would be.

• 6 months ago

It has been the mantra of New York City pizzerias and bagel bakeries for decades. It is why my overhead compartment smells strongly of garlic and onion on flights south from LaGuardia or JFK; it is why Totonno’s in Coney Island, Patsy’s Pizzeria in East Harlem and John’s in the West Village are always overrun with supplicants. It is one of the many reasons New Yorkers can be annoyingly smug.

I suppose I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid (a beverage that is, after all, 90 percent water with a soupcon of dextrose, citric acid and food coloring). But on Friday, a St. Petersburg pizzeria put it to the test: One pizza made with St. Petersburg water, one with water that had been engineered to closely approximate that of the Bronx, each pizza identical in shape and size and ingredients. Top Slice, a mostly takeout pizzeria that opened downtown at 21 Third St. N in June, would prove it, once and for all and unequivocally: New York water is elemental when it comes to good pizza.

• 6 months ago

I heard it's the water used there that makes the difference in the taste of the pizza.

• 6 months ago

Food style are unique and is very difficult to replicate.

• 6 months ago

Not every locality has robust rats specially trained to knead their pizza dough.

• 6 months ago

the caws in america eat tastier meat

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.