Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 6 months ago

Is the groom's mother's niece expected to go to the bridal shower?

So, family riff has happened as the groom's mother is upset that her niece(who already told her she was not going to make it) did not attend the bridal shower. The rest of the family was unaware of a tradition that the groom's mother's niece is to be there. Is this expected?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Since there's no family tradition that cousins are "supposed to" attend showers, the only possible conclusion is that groom's mom is a nutcase. Don't engage the crazy.

This shouldn't have turned into the landing at Normandy. If she gets her panties in a wad, she needs to talk to her niece. Nobody else should even comment, unless they're politely asking her to shut her piehole.

• Raspberry Popsicle
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

Funny thing u say that....the bride hates the bridegrooms Mom because she thinks she's to opinionated. Lol. Imagine that.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

The only ones expected to go to the bridal shower are the ones who are being showered with gifts. There is no tradition that the groom's cousin, his mother's niece would be his cousin, has to be there.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not expected.

SHe can be invited, but is she in the wedding party otherwise?

• 6 months ago

Not expected, no one is EXPECTED. But most family of both bride and groom do get invited and do go. However it sounds like grooms mommy should be the only one who would be upset & should only be upset with her niece... who had already told her she couldn't make it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If she so desires. It's an invitation, not a court summons. Have no idea what tradition you speak of, but the groom's mother needs to get over it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

1) The guest list is at the host/hostess's discretion.

2) An invitation is not a subpoena.

3) The groom's mother is out of line.

4) It's "rift" not "riff".

• Lib.rare.ian
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

@ RP: We'd rather you simply learn to communicate correctly instead of using snide sarcasm as a weak defense.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Grooms mothers niece aka the grooms cousin is welcome if she is invited. However like any other invited guest, attendance is optional.

I'm not in a rift with my cousin who got married this weekend and while I was invited to her shower... I did not attend.

• 6 months ago

If someone's invited to an event, but can't make it, then that's all there is to it. There's no requirement that everyone invited has to attend, irrelevant of their relationship.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Of course why do you ask?

• User
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Isn’t she the groom’s cousin?

• 6 months ago

If she’s invited then I guess it would be ok

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.