Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

What is the difference from someone with Aspergers getting something the like from someone without Aspergers?

So I read up in my psychology class about this kid who has Aspergers saying that “When he really likes something he gets something related to it like anything. I’m a little bit confused cuz I feel isn’t that anybody? Like if any of us like something i’m sure we would buy something related to our interests as well correct? Can someone explain to me the difference please?

• C
    Favorite Answer

There's a saying, "when you've met one person with Aspergers you've met one person with Aspergers," meaning that you can't generalise. Which is of course what I'm going to do. I think it's a matter a degrees. A neurotypical person probably has a higher threshold before developing an obsession and is more likely to have a cut off point. Say you have a favourite Marvel universe and you collect stuff around that. If you found out that you could buy Marvel toilet paper you might buy a roll as a private in joke and laugh at yourself that such a thing exists. Maybe the AS obsessive knowing that such a thing exists now has to have it forever and if they can't get it they won't wipe their butt anymore. What he was trying to convey is that it's harder to establish a healthy cut off point for the obsession. There was a story in the local news last year about a kid with AS who was repeatedly hospitalised for dehydration because his favourite mug broke and nothing could make him drink, nothing at all, until the company that used to make it made a small production run and donated some to the family so they could have spares.

• C

but that kid's obsession with the mug completely blocked out the biological signal to drink even though it's life preserving.

• ?

People with aspergers tend to fixate very strongly on the things that interests, to the point of obsession. Most people will collect a few things related to a hobby. Someone with aspergers tends to collect EVERYTHING, and the accumulation of things itself becomes sort of a hobby.