a roof garden the size of a football field?

"a roof garden the size of a football field"

Is this kind of phrase common in English?

I am not sure what connects "a roof garden" with "the size of a football field".

Grammatically, anything omitted?

Like:

a roof garden the size of (which is of) a football field

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A dog the size of a pony = A dog that is the same size as a pony / as big as a pony.

A roof garden the size of a football field = A roof garden that is as big as a football field.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The words 'that is' are omitted but understood.
      Bobby's so fat - he's the size of a house! = He is the same size as a house.

• 6 months ago

Do you understand the meaning of "a roof garden as big as a football field"? "A roof garden the size of a football field" means the same thing. Please satisfy our curiosity and tell us what else you think it could possibly mean.

• Yes, I believe I do. I can guess the meaning, but I don t understand why, grammatically, those two phrases can be connected without any conjunction, relative pronoun or the like. That s why I asked this question to native speakers.

• Mamie
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's grammatically correct, although the statement is probably hyperbole. Nonetheless, anyone would understand that it's a very large roof garden.

You wondered what connects "a roof garden" with "the size of a football field." The connecting words are "which is." These words are not spoken but are understood.

• 6 months ago

Nothing is omitted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nothing is omitted. The usual phrase is "a garden/pool/family room/etc. the size of a football field." It's an exaggeration.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

On a very large (!) building a roof garden might be describe as "as big as a football pitch" or "the size of a football pitch". Note "pitch", not "field", as the general word connected with football.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"the size....field" is used as a modifier. In my geographical location this is a common description.

• R
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Roof top gardens are very rare in America, so that is certainly not a common phrase here

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.