Jack asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

How do you respond to “thank you”?

Usually I’ll just instinctively smile and cheerfully say “uh huh!” or “yep!”, but some people find that rude I guess. Sometimes I’ll say “you’re welcome”, but I sort of feel like that’s essentially saying “oh yeah I’m so great you’re welcome that I did something for you” lol.

Do you think it’s rude to say anything less than “you’re welcome” or “my pleasure”? What did you normally say?

• Foofa

You could always say "no problem", "happy to do it" or some other thing to acknowledge their thanks.

A quick 'You're welcome' or 'Not at all' is plenty, with a pleasant smile or nod.

You are very much welcome.

• PAMELA

I just say your'e welcome, nothing else to say really, don't make too much of it, it is not really important is it?

i would just say youre welcorne

• Cara

"Not at all" is a classic British response.

"Glad I could help."

'No problem' or 'Happy to do so'.

De nada, you're welcome, no problem, OK - all acknowledge the thanks without making out that you were a martyr in performing the gesture.

“My pleasure”, and a smile.