Is it possible to pull bark off a tree with your finger nails?

I'm currently writing a story, and the context of the question is a scene where a young child is kidnapped in the woods. One of the early outline details at the scene of the abduction was going to be rends made by the child in the bark of a tree. Now that I'm writing the second draft of the scene, I'm... show more I'm currently writing a story, and the context of the question is a scene where a young child is kidnapped in the woods. One of the early outline details at the scene of the abduction was going to be rends made by the child in the bark of a tree. Now that I'm writing the second draft of the scene, I'm researching how plausible this detail is, as I've never done this and I don't want to harm a tree (or myself) testing it.

If further detail is wanted, the child is most likely using all of his strength in attempting to get a hold of the tree to stop the abduction and get free, with little regard to any injury happening to his fingers and hand. The tree in question is most likely pine or a similar conifer, due to setting. The child is about five or six, lanky in build. There was a massive rain storm preceding this scene, so the tree was likely wet.

I know everything I've just typed sounds shady as hell, but I'm honestly just a writer. I couldn't find anything when I tried googling.