Kaelie asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 8 months ago

If they are going to garnish my wages, but its my bf's bank account can they take his money?

I got a letter saying my wages may be garnished, but I am unemployed. My bf and I share a bank account, will they take his money?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

They don't actually take money from the bank account. They contact your employer and they are responsible for garnishing...you'll just see a smaller deposit.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

Yes, they can take money form any account with your name on it if they have a levy of accounts. Garnishing wages is not the same thing.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

You should tell your collector that you have no job, there for no money.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No. Normally they'd reduce your paycheck by the amount of the garnishment. That can't happen if you have no income.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

The operative word is "wages". Apparently they do not know that you are not working. In order to garnish your wages, they typically get a court order to contact your employer and take money directly from them that would otherwise be paid to you. Since you are not working, they have no where to garnish.

• 8 months ago

If this is not for a student loan I would be very quick to be running to a bankruptcy court and discharge every last one of my debts! Being unemployed as an absolutely wonderful reason to declare bankruptcy and wipe out every last debt that you have! Most all debts can be discharged in bankruptcy except perhaps a federal student loan

• 8 months ago

If you are unemployed, how are they going to garnish your wages? ---When there are no wages to garnish. No, they will not take your bf's money but if they garnish "your" bank account, they will take "your" money. They won't take anyone's money but yours. Bank accounts are usually left alone, although not always. If you remove your money from your account and they garnishee it, and there is nothing there, and you are not working, expect to face a Judgment Debtor exam.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Garnishment law experience.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

If you are unemployed - then they have no wages to garnish.

Depending on the situation, your bank account should be off limits, but that depends on who you owe money to.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

no..............

• 8 months ago

Your employer will send them part of the money from your paycheck. The bank account is not effected.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.