Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 7 months ago

Can I refreeze thawed pureed baby food again?

My baby hasn’t ate off of it. I had put it in the freezer then down on fridge & again in freezer. Is it safe? I’m scared that my baby can get sick or something. I’m a first time mom & have no idea what I’m doing. No rude comments thank you

• Edna

You can't freeze baby food - it's pureed and it's half water to begin with.. If you freeze pureed food, after it's thawed you're going to end up with a watery, soupy mess.

If the baby doesn't eat the entire jar of food at one feeding (which it probably won't), put the lid back on the jar, put the jar in the refrigerator, and offer the remainder at the next feeding. After that, throw it out.

• LizB

No. Put it in the fridge and use it within the next day or two.

• Jill

No. Just put it in the fridge and try to use it that day. If not, throw it out. Never freeze, thaw and refreeze anything.

You should never refreeze any food that has been completely thawed out. That includes most frozen foods of any kind.

Once any food is thawed, any uneaten portions can be kept in the refrigerator.

For baby food, anything not eaten within 24 hours should be discarded. Bacteria can begin to develop in foods and a baby's digestive system just isn't ready to deal with bacteria that might be in food that wasn't handled correctly.

The thing is, freezing it twice and defrosting it twice, it's really going to have very little nutrition left in it.