Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 5 months ago

Can CBSA confiscate soda pop?

Like if you bring and declare a bottle of pop (Mountain Dew, Coke, Root Beer, etc) on your trip to Canada.

If they do, would they personally take a sip out of it? Or would they pour it out?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

They could, but why would they. Unless they had reason to suspect you're smuggling illegal drugs in it (yes, people have done that), they wouldn't care.

• 5 months ago

No. Very few foods are restricted, and pop is not one of them.

• Jeff H
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Not usually, we have brought it across many times, even on occasion an open bottle that we were drinking at the time without issue. It is very rare that they inspect you unless your actions trigger it or you just happen to be the random vehicle that they inspect (I have had this happen both ways). There should be no issues if it is still sealed and there are no other regulations prohibiting this (such as at an airport).

While they can inspect and confiscate virtually anything the chances of this happening are virtually nil if your actions, based on their training, do not create any alerts. If they did then they would, like they do with fresh fruits and vegetables, dispose of it in the garbage or appropriate container.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Likely it would be ignored but if the customs agent/border guards suspect you of something, the contents of the can/bottle may be examined ( no, they would not taste it ).

You cannot buy Sierra Mist in Canada so a few times I've bought a case of it and brought it back into Canada in my vehicle. I included the purchase price of the case in my declaration as I crossed and had no issues.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Can they? YES

Would they? Probably not.

There are video records of US Customs ordering a person to drink from a tampered container. It contained drugs the person trying to smuggled died from an overdose.

As those beverages are not rare or unknown to CBSA staff and the destruction of seized items is documented. doubtful anyone would want a sip. They might take a sample for drug testing.

• 5 months ago

You don't have to declare one bottle of soda pop. If you did, for some unfathomable reason, they wouldn't do anything.

• 5 months ago

What is CBSA? If you're crossing by land, I doubt that they would confiscate one bottle. They're looking for things being brought in to sell. And no, they wouldn't take a sip of it. They'd throw it in the garbage. But that's only if you're getting on a flight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.