Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Why do people get advanced degrees in extremely boring topics?

For example, my accounting professor has a PhD in "the history of accounting systems and texts."

He's quite literally a specialist in how each accounting technique was made and accounting textbooks that describe them.

Accounting is already well known as one of the most boring jobs there is, and this guy went in even further and picked the most boring possible part of the boring job to specialize in. Like... why? How does someone study the history of accounting textbooks for years and not think there are more exciting things they could be doing with their life?

• oikoσ
    Favorite Answer

The dissertation is supposed to be original research. Sometimes, it's hard to be both original and interesting. I don't imagine that my dissertation will ever be made into a movie. However, parts of it were interesting to me and parts of it led to publications. One facet was a synonymy, a list of all the scientific names applied to the animal with the dates of publication. It ties in with what name is the correct one to apply. Synonymies that came before mine had two publications with different names, both in the same year and always in the same order. On a hunch, I tracked down the dates of publication more precisely and discovered that the one listed first should have been listed second. A more experienced systematist pointed out that every name used in these publications was affected and the two of us collaborated on a paper explaining this and listing every name involved. Boooooring! But important in its field. And the hunt was fun.

It may not be boring to them. I know people who actually like math.

He loves what he does, or he wouldn't do it! People can be fascinated, and find very exciting, what others would consider sheer drudgery. Clearly, accounting, etc, is not at all suitable for you. For others, numbers "sing & dance & tell stories." Different people have different talents, abilities, interests, skills, personality & character traits. Thank goodness for that!

You may think it's boring. They don't.

People have different interest. For example, I personally ENJOY math! Most people ask me why it's fun. People tell me it's something you will never need in life. I agree, we don't really need proofs in Geometry and whatsoever in the future. It's just something that I personally enjoy.

The Ph.D also allows them to teach at universities to become a professor. Even if teaching is not the desired outcome, how money is managed in more complex systems can be very exciting, as it literally can make you rich, or poor. I wouldnt knock it until you try it.

• D

bragging rights

rnaybe cause its not boring to thern

When people have to get jobs they often quit them because the job is so boring. So an advanced degree like this proves to employers that you can work through the most utterly boring stuff without giving up and no matter how mind numbingly boring the job is that you will finish it satisfactorily. This gives the employer confidence that you're not a quitter and will be a loyal employee no matter how tough things get in the world of double entry book keeping.

• .

They get doctorate degrees in general areas like accounting, computer science, and English. But they have to choose a specialized area of research for their doctoral dissertation. They can't just do their dissertation about the general topic of English or computer science. That would be too broad for an approximate 250 page project.

• Mamie

This answer hits the nail on the head. And, in addition, the doctoral candidate has to find a topic that hasn't already been written about over and over again.