Gas question, please help?

I put $20 dollars worth of gas in my tank.

But I checked my account it said I only had $12.

& it took out $1

Pretty much saying I didn’t have enough money to be putting $20 in gas.

Is this bad? I don’t get paid till Friday and it’s Sunday today.

• 1 year ago

If you have no overdraft protection, you will be hit with $50 or more in fees.

1 year ago

Stick with cash payments.

• 1 year ago

Yeah it's bad. You are going to have an overdraw once the post the full 20.00 (probably in a day or 2.) Your bank will charge you an overdraft fee (mine is $35.00), plus if you have other pending charges that hit after the overdraft they will also overdraft.

• 1 year ago

What do you think? You haven't got money to waste and yet you are charging more than what you have in the account. Do you usually flush money down the toilet in overdraft fees? Do you think you are going to get ahead that way?

• 1 year ago

Its going to overdraw your account and charge you far more than the $8 you owe. Next time be very careful not to overdraw your account.

• Judy
    1 year ago

They might have let you overdraw.

• 1 year ago

The pump puts a $1 hold to verify the card before you even start pumping. Your bank most likely WILL pay the full charge when processed by the gas station in the next day or so. Then you will be charged overdraft fees by the bank. If they bank declines the charge, AND you are lucky, the station will let you off with paying for the gas and a fee for the rejected transaction. Legally, you can be criminally charged and have your driver's license suspended for not paying for the gas.

1 year ago

You are dumber than a rock and will have a very hard time ahead of you.

• 1 year ago

The full amount will be taken out on Monday - the $1 is just a temporary charge. Your account will go into overdraft if you don't deposit enough to cover the $20 today. My bank charges $12/day every day an account remains in overdraft.

• Drey1 year agoReport

Thankyou!

• DON W
    1 year ago

You have overdrawn your account. The $1 was to check that your debit card worked, and that you had something in your account.

The bank will likely charge you a penalty for overdrawing your account. It's also possible that they will cancel your account (although I don't think that's likely).

I would call the bank on Monday and explain that you made a mistake. If you've been handling the account okay otherwise, they may forgive the penalty and allow you to keep the account open.

• Drey1 year agoReport

Thankyou!