Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 5 months ago

Anyone know if fish oil pills lower high blood pressure?

I have 180/120 blood pressure if I don't take my medication.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

No these will not lower your blood pressure. Fish oil are omega-3 fatty acids that can be used to treat cholesterol (dyslipidemia). This could in the long run help prevent your BP from getting any higher but will have no immediate effect as the atherosclerosis already present will still be there. Treatment can help make these plaques more stable and lower the risk of a heart attack or stroke in the future, but fish oils have not been shown to work consistently in the majority of people. If you have high cholesterol, you most likely need to be started on a statin depeneding on your whole patient profile which I don't have.

• Jason
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, but it does help protect the blood vessels from the damage caused by high blood pressure. It is far from perfect, but it helps minimize the microvascular damage from chronically high pressures. It is not a substitute for managing your blood pressure.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my master's in nursing
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

If your blood pressure is that high its taken you 3 or 4 days to make it that high so Its going to take 6 or 8 days to repair the damage at least Many people it s takes 45 years so Imagine why they all have to take medications and eat right and exercise to reduce your blood pressure and another cool thing with that high you need to consider getting a CT or MRI so they can look for how many anuerysms you have waiting to pop.....www.heart.org . hypertension , also anuerysms

• 5 months ago

Blood is 94% water. Thus, the blood pressure is controlled by the amount of water in your body. When you become dehydrated, the blood loses 8% of its water volume which causes it to thicken due to the metabolic waste it contains.

This thickened blood increases the workload on the heart, requiring it to increase the blood pressure to maintain proper circulation.

The claim that eating too much salt causes high blood pressure is nonsense. The reason people with high blood pressure coincidentally have a higher amount of salt is that salt retention is triggered by a lack of sufficient water in the body. Salt retains water and holding onto extra salt is one of the body's defenses to prevent cell damage.

You need to stop whatever water substitute you are drinking and start drinking more water. You need to replace the water you lose every day - in adults this is around 2 quarts (eight 8-ounce glasses, as doctors used to advise back when they weren't focused more on the profitable healthcare industry).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i heard they rnight, but i would take your rneds too if you dont want problerns, i have high blood pressure and i always take rny rneds so i dont have problerns

• 5 months ago

No, they will have no effect on blood pressure.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

no of course they dont

• 5 months ago

Only diet and excercise will.

If a low salt diet isn't working then nothing else will. Especially not fish oil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.