Jake asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

Should I compete in MMA or BJJ?

Hi all,

So I m looking at starting to train MMA as a hobby, however there are no dedicated mma gyms in my area. There is only gracie barra which also do muay thai, mma and wrestling classes (not sure how good these are).

I was thinking I would train bjj and muay thai there and do boxing at a separate gym nearby.

However there are some good mma gyms in certain towns 20 miles away.

Would I do well as an amateur fighter who fights against people who train at a gym that specialises in mma as opposed to a place that specializes in bjj (but also trains muay thai and boxing).

Long story short, should I just focus on BJJ if there is no dedicated mma gym in my area? Or train at different places.

Thanks all

• Noah

Why choose you can do both

Remember MMA is Mixed Martial Arts it is not a style in of itself. Having training in both Muay Thai and BJJ can make you a well rounded MMA fighter.

Also there is no saying you can't compete in both. Plenty of MMA fighters compete in grappling tournaments as well as MMA fights or even strict Kickboxing fights.

Source(s): My husband owns an MMA gym and trains fighters http://www.hudsoncombat.com

If you are getting authentic training, have serious instructors and peer-students, and are willing to put in the time, they are all excellent. Personally, I would prefer to fight in grappling tournaments over striking ones since the head trauma is cumulative and successive concussions cause irreparable harm.