Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

1. Take under consideration the following sentence:

"She drifted away from him."

a) Could this used in a physical situation, such as after a girl was approached by a stranger, 'she drifted away from him'?

b) Could it also be used in a more 'familiar' context, such as, after attending a course, they lost contact with each other, or 'drifted away from each other'?

2. Are both sentences correct, and do they mean the same:

a) "The house has been ASSESSED in 1 million Euros." (Note: the house is worth aroun 1 milllion Euros.)

b) "The house has been GAUGED in 1 million Euros." (Note: the house is worth around 1 milllion Euros.)

• Dave
    Favorite Answer

For 1, the b) (as you noted too) is the much more common usage, the 'creation of emotional distance,' etc. But there's nothing that rules out that 1a) could not also be understood in that sense. Just a more unusual usage of the word.

For 2, I (American) would use "at" instead of "in" for the preposition in both sentences. That said, "assess, assessing, assessor" and "assessment" can be very formal: the valuation of a house for taxation purposes: that kind of civic, municipal, or governmental thing going on... . 2b) 'gauged' just is not the verb normally used; it seems a little odd there; not the best fit. Your everyday phrasing with 'worth' in it would be the commonest, the one that you would hear in speech (and often writing) most often.

Source(s): native AmE

I think Dave deserved a ten. It's an excellent answer. However, I think the use of drifted away when referring to an interaction with a complete stranger is inappropriate. When strangers interact, there is no hesitation of parting. I think it would be rather strange for them to slowly end their interaction. They don't drift away.