Judy asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

making aquarium fertilizer/500ml solution/how much calcium sulfate needed for 40ppm reading in 50g freshwater and daily dosage/PLEASE?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

There's no way to tell; the biology of tanks are all different and testing is the only way to learn what might be necessary.

Normally calcium isn't needed at all in a freshwater tank unless correcting a low alkalinity, which is probably not necessary.

And nothing needs to be dosed daily.

If I were're you I'd stop what you're doing and reevaluate what's necessary to run a tank successfully. Your tank won't need a lot of fertilizer, certainly not as much as what manufacturers suggest using.

Edit:

"Using Perpetual Preservation System-Pro fertilization formula and suggested dosage.It calls for 50% water change a week! Residue fertz are cleaned out. Wondering how much calcium sulfate needed for calcium reading of 40ppm using this specific system. HELP PLEASE!!"

Judy · 46 mins ago

....I can't explain any better.

1. Manufacturers lie so you'll use more of their product

2. Most tanks don't have enough growing plants to require large amounts of fertilizer.

3. It's not useful to over fertilize and then remove excess with water changes

4. Balancing light, Co2 and fertilizer leads to best growth. Using too much of one and not enough of the others is useless.

5. No single dosing quantity works for all tanks.

6. Poor quality light and over fertilizing just leads to excessive algae growth and spindly rotting plants.

7. Large amounts of calcium are generally not needed in freshwater tanks.

8. Testing and observation are the only ways to know and adjust levels and usage of additives. There's no standard dosage regardless of what the package says. You may only need half or less of what they recommend, unless you have a heavily planted tank with Co2 and specialized lighting. See #4 above.

• Judy6 months agoReport

Using Perpetual Preservation System-Pro fertilization formula and suggested dosage.It calls for 50% water change a week! Residue fertz are cleaned out. Wondering how much calcium sulfate needed for calcium reading of 40ppm using this specific system. HELP PLEASE!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.