Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

outdoor cat?

is ok to have a cat that is indoor/outdoor, like let it come in/out if it wants to durning the day and keep it inside at night? some people say you shouldn’t let your cat outside at all.. personally i don’t think it’s fair, i think they should get some fresh air. Others say they don’t live that long going outside but my neighbors cat is outdoors all the time and is 14. also i’m getting my cat spayed in a few weeks, i booked it today. if it’s ok to have her indoors and outdoors shall i wait till she is spayed to do so?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • pmt853
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I would say keep the cat indoors until she's been spayed and recovered from the operation. Then let her outdoors unless there are clear dangers outside. All our cats have been allowed to come and go as they please day and night through their catflaps, they all seem to have lived full lives and to have coped perfectly well with encountering other cats, dogs, foxes and quiet local roads.

• 6 months ago

Yes you can let your cat outside but just make sure he stays on your property like build a fence around your garden or something to protect your cat and other wildlife your cat could harm

• 6 months ago

Wow you're an idiot. If you think your cat needs fresh air OPEN A WINDOW WITH A SECURE SCREEN.

Why is it "unfair" to keep a PET safe indoors WHERE IT BELONGS? Should we let our pet rats, guinea pigs, birds, ferrets, all roam loose as well? Why not? Isn't it "unfair" to keep them in as well?

How is it "unfair" to keep your pet cat from slaughtering wildlife? Pet cats hunt for SPORT not food. One cat can kill up to a THOUSAND birds and small animals every year.

How is it "unfair" to prevent your cat from pissing and crapping all over your neighbours' gardens and yards?

Cats allowed to roam end up run over by cars, eaten by coyotes, poisoned, etc. They average about 5 years of life and if let out as kittens even younger. Cats kept indoors? They average 15 years and often longer. I recently lost my eldest cat at TWENTY TWO years, 7 months old!!!

Read this article and EDUCATE yourself. Also know that if you adopt from a shelter or buy from a breeder most contracts state cats will NEVER be allowed to roam.

https://littlebigcat.com/health/indoors-or-outdoor...

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No, it isn't. So don't do it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JASON
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

You must be in America. In the UK I don't know anyone who keeps a cat inside except when it wants to be.

• anna6 months agoReport

no actully i’m in ireland heheh😂

• 6 months ago

What's selfish is expecting other people and the local wildlife IT WILL KILL to deal with YOUR PET.

So if you're wanting to provide some outdoor time then do so RESPONSIBLY by setting up an outdoor cat proof enclosure or catio.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you want your cat to have outside time you can (1) train to a harness/leash and take the cat outside, or (2) build an enclosure that attaches to the house via window or door.

Keep the cat on YOUR property if you value its life.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Here in the U.K. our cats go outdoors, not a lot of people keep them inside unless they live near a road.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Do not let her out until she is spayed unless you want a lot of kittens in the house!

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

My sister has outdoor cats and an indoor cat, but no indoor/outdoor cats. There are a few reasons.

1) When cats go outdoors, they bring in insects that can get into carpeting as infestations. Fleas and ticks are pretty nasty and hard to keep them out when a pet can go in and out. They also often bring back dead birds and mice and some people have issues about a mouse head on the floor.

2) Another issue is cat goes out and doesn't return. Whether killed or injured by a car, predator or dog, shot by a person, stolen, or picked up by a county animal control, you need to be prepared that the cat just disappears. If outdoor cats disappear, you expect it happens. Indoor/Outdoor is losing a pet.

3) Often, neighbors don't appreciate animals wandering around their property. Some purposely poison them.

4) Indoor/outdoor cats must be extra identified and fully vaccinated.

5) There could be local laws against it. Any pet out without a leash can be illegal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.