Playing piano with two hands?

I know practice makes perfect, its just reading the notes at the same time.

I am teaching myself so I don't really have much help besides a book telling me all the technical information.

Favorite Answer

DONT PLAY HANDS SEPARATELY. Please just don t do it. Or if you do, do it as little as possible. People believe that it helps kick in muscle memory or maybe it helps in general. What it does is it makes your hands accustomed to playing separately. Take it as slow as you want, and when you mess up, identify the problem. Is it fingering, is it notes, its it rhythm? Then fix it. You can go hands separately when fixing specific problems. Make sure you start a couple of measures before the problem instead of starting at the problem. Then take up the tempo a few notches at a time. you can also record yourself too hear it and see what needs to be fixed. Listen to other people playing that same piece too to point out any mistakes that you are making. Good luck!

You need to ease into it. Most self-taught pianists think they can take an intermediate piece and hand independence will just magically appear. You need to train your hands to work independently, starting with simple things.

Just run through your arpeggio. Do your A root chord on the left hand and then roll over it's notes one by one on the right. That's playing piano in a nut shell. On guitar James from Metalica crunches away on a G major power chord while Kirk shreds staring from a scale rooted in that same G. James is your left hand and Kirk is your right. The scales can get much more complicated but just for the mechanics of beating the pattern into your body:

ACE chord, and A-C-E arpeggio one octave up. Trust me, there are simpler pop songs.

This is the hardest part of a beginning piano players study. A teacher can assess what you need, and assign pieces specially designed to lead you thru this process, and help you learn. That BOOK you speak of is probably not telling you what you need NOW - a live teacher would. Even it you take just a handful to get started - you will see a big difference. But it must be a QUALIFIED teacher - not the kid who sits next to you in Algebra class, of the old bar room piano player down the street. You are worth BETTER than that!

• Sparky

Try working on 1 piece of music.

Master it with both hands separately, then try getting the rhythym right with both hands at the same time.