Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 6 months ago

Does a CTR get filed if you deposit more than $10,000 in a Prepaid Debit card or just bank accounts?

I'm asking this question out of curiosity. I know that a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) gets filed if you deposit $10,000 or more in a U.S bank account. How about prepaid Visa debit cards?

Does the same thing apply?

You would have a hard time finding a store or other business that would sell you a $10,000 PRE-PAID card (!) - but I am sure they would report you because that smacks of money laundering.

• STEVEN F

The reason they would report it is that a $10,000 CASH transaction makes the CTR legally MANDATORY. That said, you are correct that they would probably not even conduct the sale.

Currency Transaction Reports are required for CASH transactions. It doen't matter what the cash is used for. If you buy a car for $10,000 cash, a CTR is legally required.

Note: You can deposit a check for $100,000 and a CTR is not required.