My 1987 virago xv535 air filter smells like gas and bike dies with no choke?

You might have both a slight flood on one carb and clogged idle jets or screws. Or possibly no flood but an inlet leak. This would better explain it. When carbs flood, they usually stall if choked. If they don't flood but idle circuit clogged as I said, they require a bit richer mixture to run, like you get if you choke.

Write down how many turns to seat idle screws( they will be different), remove and don't mix them up, spray out with carb cleaner, replace exactly as many turns. Don't lose the springs, washers, O rings. They go back together: screw, flat washer, spring, flat washer, then O-ring. Tighten fuel lines. If still gas smell, remove bowls check needles, floats, seating, float height. You can see roughly if needles seating and sealing by blowing on inlet line and gently raising floats with fingers. Should stop air flow a bit before top of floats are parallel with the carb base. Should also seat at about same height--use a bubble level held evenly on both floats to see.

Clean the carbs, your float needle is not shutting off the fuel when the float bowl is full.

• don r

Sounds to me like it's flooding. Clean and adjust the carb.

Seems as if unburnt fuel is being blown back into the air filter so check the ignition timing, fit new plugs, clean and adjust the carb and make sure the float level is correct. The two most common causes for a bike that needs choke to run are either weak mixture (carb fix) or ignition problems and /or valve timing and spark. Check the condition of your plugs electrodes and their colour. A healthy plug should be brick brown. If they are black the bike is running rich, if they have whitish deposits, the bike is running lean and would need the choke to keep it running in that instance to enrich the mixture.

• zipper

This sounds like a choke problem, check to see if the spring that holds the choke open is clean and not broken. If either case exist the engine when running is pulling the choke plate on. Take the air breather off and let the bike run while you watch the choke plate if it starts moving the spring is either broken or full of dirt. Either clean it or you may need a new carburetor. I had this same trouble with my lawn mower.

• dan5 months agoReport

Maybe SU's for Triumphs after '78 , not sure.

Odd it dies with no choke. The gas smell would seem it runs rich.

Without seeing her, I'd say; tune up, new plugs, new air cleaner, check ign. timing (if adjustable), check valve timing; set valves, check fuel levels in carbs. Replace needles/floats as needed. Soak carbs in 50/50 mixture of cleaner and gas 5 minutes. Fresh gas to tank. Remove air cleaner while idling, hit throttle. Do Both t slides move, and about same distance? If not, need to tear 'em down, maybe a new diaphragm.

Check operation of choke. Probably an enrichment valve;see that it seats fully with a bit of slack with knob fully in. Make sure its pulled t o full extension when full out.

• Lv 5

Had my '83 CB650 8 years; generally, only dirty gas messes Hondas up.I've torn down/synced carbs twice. If I bought New fuel tank in 2010, I'd have Never had to touch carbs except for two needles that eventually went. Replaced plugs when I got her and at 20k; but, plugs Not worn/fouled.

It's time for its regular 32-year maintenance: rebuild carbs, new hoses, new gas lines, replace all filters, return mixture and idle adjust to specs, adjust valves, replace / gap plugs, check the timing, pull and lubricate the swing arm, change all fluids. A bike that old may need some new electricalizationals, too, like the hot and ground wires to the battery and spark plug wires. Your bike will thank you.

• Exoplanet

The copper in the battery cables doesn't go bad, the connectors on both ends internally corrode where the corrosion cannot be seen.

• JetDoc

That's nice. Did you want to ask a question while you're here?

• Carson

Needle and seat in carb, hole in float.

You may be able to drop bowls and clean them.

Clean your tank while your at it.

• Carson

Uh, rust jacks up beedkes & seats. I've rebuilt knucks & pan Harleys, recently my 69 Sporster. Use to buy them for $40 in baskets. I put washers and nuts into the tank and put it in a vibrator that knocked edges off machined parts. That's how the HE11 I did it.
      Or I guess a radiator shop.

• Dze

the float needle or related oring seal is leaking .. rebuild the carb (s) ...

• Dze

in some designs there is in fact an oring 'under' the needle seat .. alot of times people miss that one .. i would definitely look at a microfiche or parts diagram to be sure ..