Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 7 months ago

my computer isn’t working?

my imac is from 2008 and it’s slow, how can i make it faster and upgrade it? the ram is maxed out and a TB ssd is in it, can i upgrade the graphics card to a newer imac graphics card if the power supply can handle it? can i put an intel i3 in? can i swap out the logic board with a mac mini

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Ok so a few things prevent this from happening

1. the computer is from BEFORE the intel core i series came out so it will not have support for the new CPUs (wont even fit in the socket)

2. the computer is an all-in-one which uses laptop processors, which you cant buy retail

3. the "graphics card" is integrated and cant be upgraded (as the motherboard in all-in-ones are basically the same as laptops which have almost no functionality)

4. the board shape is unique for each and every model meaning you can only use an identical motherboard, you cant swap between models

5. its apple and they LOVE to make model specific proprietary connections to prevent upgrades of older models

After saying i can only recommend you dump that old imac into the trash and buy a new computer (not recommending apple as they have a 100-400% profit margin on hardware which i consider highly ethical)

• 7 months ago

thank god all is well

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

you should buy a new one an 11-year-old computer might be lucky to even support google chrome

• 7 months ago

You should buy a new one, as the best choice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

You can try whatever you'd like. If the max RAM is installed and have an SSD, then you've done all that is possible to update that alder iMac.

What do you expect out of an 11 year old computer? A new one today, will be slow in 2030.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.