Can I have a belly piercing in the Air Force?

According to the memo released by the Air Force in April 2019 it reads:

3.5.1. In uniform on or off a military installation: With the exception of earrings for women

(see paragraphs 6.3.1.1), all members are prohibited from attaching, affixing, or displaying

objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue, eye brows,

lips, or any exposed body part (includes visible through the uniform).

3.5.2. In civilian attire on official duty on or off a military installation: With the exception

of earrings for women (see paragraphs 6.3.1.1), all members are prohibited from attaching,

affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to and/or through the ear,

nose, tongue, eye brows, lips, or any exposed body part (includes visible through clothing).

3.5.3. In civilian attire off duty on a military installation: With the exception of earrings for

women (see paragraphs 6.3.1.1) and areas in and around military family and privatized

housing, all Air Force members are prohibited from attaching, affixing and/or displaying

objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to and/or through the ear, nose, tongue, eye brows,

lips, or any exposed body part (includes visible through clothing).

To me this means a belly piercing is fine because it wouldn't be visible in any of the proscribed clothing. Could I make it through basic on that technicality?

Memo:

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

IN basic, you wear only what they tell you to wear. Even the allowance for women to wear earrings doesn't apply.

After basic, it would appear that belly piercings are acceptable as long as you are wearing clothing that fully hides the piercing. I don't see the point of wearing it if the rules say it can never be visible.

• Jason
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"To me this means a belly piercing is fine because it wouldn't be visible in any of the proscribed clothing. Could I make it through basic on that technicality?"

This is why civilians don't get to interpret regulations. Guess what body parts are exposed in the shower in basic training? All of them. Guess what? That counts. You are not permitted any piercings in or out of uniform, on base or off base, besides earrings.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic and training manager
    • Jason
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Then you should also know that JAGs don't go to basic training -- so not only are you unaware of regulations, you aren't even aware of what you're actually doing. You should be a fantastic asset to the USAF legal service. You can't even research your own training.

• 6 months ago

Definitely not!!! The only jewelry allowed are for religious reasons and nothing else

• 6 months ago

It is not just for aestectic reasons..........it's also for physical, exercise reasons.

You are NOT allowed piercings in boot. Period.

They frown on any display of your "uniqueness" or individuality.

after boot........if it doesn't show.......and it never should in uniform........you can wear it all day if it floats your boat. How would anyone know you even have it on?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

nope, not with a ring or post in the piercing.

• alana
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

In time no one will care how many holes you punched in yourself as long as you are not dangling them in uniform.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

no ew why would you want one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.