Why is my cat grooming herself excessively to the point of baldness?

Hello everyone this has been going on for a while, but my cat has been excessively grooming herself for a few months. At this point her inner legs and stomach are near bald.

When we brought to the vet they just gave her a cortisone shot. It wasn't very effective, it lasted maybe a week but then she started up again.

Any ideas to what is causing it?

Update:

edit: she is an indoor cat with another cat in the same house, they have been together for multiple years.

Update 2:

Edit 2: Already brought to the vet and had blood work done, no mites or fleas either. So it's either a food allergy or stress than. Not sure what could cause stress since though.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Stress. Let it go outside!

• 6 months ago

My cat used to do the same thing, she would groom herself so much and even rip her own hair out around her thighs and her back. She would have bald spots. Turns out it was due to anxiety. At one point, my cat was living alongside 4 dogs which was very stressful for her. So the vet gave us some sort of anxiety medication for her. If she is fine with the other cat and they don't fight or anything, it could be something else. It couldn't hurt to bring up the possibility of stress to your vet though. Best of luck! Cats are strange.

• J M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Get a second opinion. Over grooming can be caused by stress. Look into something like Feliway.

• 6 months ago

my daughter brought me her cat to take care of for a few months. this turned out to be three years.i ended up keeping her in my large bedroom as my other cats picked on her relentlessly. one of my cats sat outside of my door day and night; she could not stand the thought of that cat in there. my cat ended up losing her hair around her neck and chewed her tail bare. I took her to the vet and they told me that, in essence she was having a nervous break down. I was skeptical but I started putting the "intruding" kitty in the other room for a while and letting my cat roam in my room. sure enough, her fur all grew back and she was a happy cat once again!! cats are prone get so upset that their physical appearance may be altered.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It could be food allergis, flea allergies, environmental allergies, she could be making excessive cortical steroids herself in the system, move damage to injury to the dried skin. You will need to work with a vet to figure it out, your best bet may be a second opinion and possibly being treated at either a small animal teaching hospital or a strictly cat clinic because they see more specific cat issues than an all pet clinics usually does the steroid wrked.p for a few weeks chances are it’s either food or environmental but there’s no way to tell for sure.

If you let your cat play outside limit her exposure to an open grassy area, keep her out of flowers and bushes etc. do not let her run free because your neighbors may not be using pet safe chemicals on their lawns or in their gardens, The cat may be having allergic reaction to that issue if you allow her to wander.

Another item would be any flea collars, powders, flea applications on her or in your carpet. Other things that may trigger this kind of reaction could be carpet fresheners you use, carpet shampoos, new carpet that she may have allergies to, if you have changed your laundry soap recently, fabric softener, different soap shampoo your floors, new air filters, incense or candles, oil warmers all can add to pet allergies. If you have indoor plants or have purchased new cat furniture, changed litters or any products you have been using for, on the cat or even the house can make a change in the cat. This is not the complete list, you may find one on line that’s more detailed of what to check for.

Other ideas is internal parasites, some you cannot see in the litter box, they are close to being microscopic and live in the digestive tract, just another idea of what may be bothering the cat.

We have had similar problems over the years with our cats from scratching themselves bloody, over grooming and chewing themselves to relieve the itching. We kept a journal of who did what and where they spent their time for the day. We also logged what time if day we noted them scratching or licking the most.

Our long hair ended up being clipped short, he needed to regrow his coat but we had to make sure we brushed him daily to avoid the under growth from matting and pulling his skin so hard, once the excessive under hair was pulled his full coat it came back and he stopped biting at himself constantly. All the sprays and powders that we were told to use to prevent matting and that would loosen dead hair up to brush out easily were the culprits for drying out his skin and making himself chew himself raw, the perfumes they used to make the product smell good and the oils reacted against his skin when he was allergy tested.

Good luck with your search, it may be found right way what the problem is or it may take several weeks of trying. It’s frustrating at st it there has been sine change in the cats life, unless he’s not that old and just matured from kitten to cat then it more than lowly is a hormonal issue, let your vet help sort it out what the exact issue is,

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Food allergy, flea allergy. You need to return to the vet and figure out with other tests.

• 6 months ago

Probably too many steroid-type hormones are being produced, get the vet to check the blood. Maybe the poor cat has a serious skin mite infestation or is hyper-allergic to fleabites?

Make sure the cat is getting sufficient A, D, and E Vitamins. Real meat and egg yolks often help.

• 6 months ago

THey groom excessively often when stressed. Try to find out why. Other cats, stuck inside etc

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Its a form of masturnbation

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

you picked up the cat and it farted so you hit it and threw it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.