Has anyone ever been to a dime-a-dip dinner?

It is like a buffet and as you go through the line, you can take as many spoonfuls as you like. At the end of the table is a cashier who estimates how many spoonfuls (or dips) you took and charges accordingly. It may sound like a bargain, but it adds up quickly.

Some I've attended, the spoons weren't over a teaspoon size and to get a decent portion, five or six dips are required. Multiply that by a dozen of so dishes - you do the math.

Favorite Answer

No, and how does a cashier accurately judge spoonfuls? I have paid for salad by weight before, and wound up paying way too much. Cottage cheese and diced boiled eggs aren't expensive till you weigh them on a salad scale.

Yeah but they called me a John

Sounds dumb. Why not charge by weight?

No and I wouldn't want to go to one

Illegal in the US due to health regulations.

never heard of it.

In US we have some places that charge by weight. I was at an ice cream shop that did that. VERY expensive.

I haven't but, I've been to those places where you pay a set amount and you can eat as much as you like. ;-)

i have and i hate it

My brother-in-law went to a sandwich bar where they charge by the ounce. He thought the price was for a whole sandwich. Boy was he surprised.