Why do most people go with Intel over AMD?

So I was building my first pc about a year ago and was trying to decide between AMD and Intel and what I saw was much better performance at much lower prices from AMD. So why does everyone seem to go with Intel?
Update: Thanks for all the great detailed answers but when it comes right do to it the real reason is probably because most computers are coming from the factory with intel. In other words everyone knows Intel and may be afraid to take a chance with AMD. That's how I felt at first but I don't regret trying the... show more Thanks for all the great detailed answers but when it comes right do to it the real reason is probably because most computers are coming from the factory with intel. In other words everyone knows Intel and may be afraid to take a chance with AMD. That's how I felt at first but I don't regret trying the ryzen 7 and it definitely out performs my old pc. And I'm likely to go with AMD on my next build. I'm not really into gaming by the way I more into animation and video editing.