Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs ยท 6 months ago

Is it safe walking an expensive dog?

I walk my dog around the neighborhood, however I'm concerned because it's an expensive dog and he might get stolen.

First Anonymous: Nothing to do with race whatsoever.

I swear some of these answers are out of this world!

It's not just walking around my neighborhood but also anywhere else I bring my dog with me. It could be the park, store, while I'm running errands, etc.

Thanks to the recent responder. Dogs and pets are considered property under the eyes of the law and property are worth something so they can get stolen.

How does anyone know how expensive it is? I have a VERY trained dog for medical alerts and it cost 35K but hell I am the only one who knows that so.....oh and the fact he would KILL anyone coming near us when at attention. You are being stupid over this.

ADDED IF I came along and your car doors were locked, windows up, it was hot and you were not around that dog whether a pound dog or expensive dog would be taken and the police called, yeah that means breaking your window. For the record I have done this before and no jail time yet,

Your dog should be on a leash

โ— "Is it safe walking an expensive dog?"

You haven't given us ANY relevant information.

Click the [Edit] then the [Add Update] to add THESE six ๐Ÿ’ฅ bits of information to your question:

๐Ÿ’ฅ1: How old and physically capable are you? Do you have a Driver's Licence and a vehicle?

๐Ÿ’ฅ2: What's the AGE and BREED (or breeds) of this "expensive" dog.

๐Ÿ’ฅ3: What actions have you trained it to do on command?

โ— "I walk my dog around the neighborhood, however I'm concerned because it's an expensive dog and he might get stolen."

STILL you haven't THOUGHT enough to work out what WE need to know in order to answer your VAGUE question. So....

๐Ÿ’ฅ4: At what time or times of day would you want to walk an "expensive" dog?

๐Ÿ’ฅ5: NAME the neighbourhoods you WANT to walk your dog in (give each one a name that YOU will remember & identify with the REAL neighbourhood.) Neighbourhood by neighbourhood: State the problems you are aware of in THAT neighbourhood.

๐Ÿ’ฅ6: Why are you hiding behind the cowardly bowler-hatted blue-face [Anonymous], instead of displaying YOUR avatar and username?

I have, as of March 1976, lived in a suburb where most of the occupants are very "lower class", living in State Houses (owned by the State Housing Corporation operated by the government) which are often 4 houses joined together, with half the house upstairs, half downstairs. The rest of the State House tenants are refugees still learning English and hoping to get a job. Often there are 2 or 3 such families living in a unit meant for one family. There is a HUGE amount of theft in this suburb. There are four primary schools in easy walking distance of me, plus an intermediate school and a secondary school just a bit further than I (at my age) wish to walk (but I have twice walked further this millennium). While I was still teaching, children twice climbed into our house to see what they could steal. The police quickly identified one of them, thanks to a stay-at-home neighbour.

After I retired, on one occasion I came home to find a message recorded on my answer-phone asking if I'd checked my pups. At that stage I hadn't - but when I did, one of the 6 weeks old pups was missing. Obviously the thief wanted to skite. Thank goodness he hadn't stolen a BREEDING-quality pup!

Late one fine night I heard sirens racing up my 5-houses-long cul-de-sac. When I went to the front of the house I saw 4 sets of police lights flashing away on the driveway - 2 on police cars that had chased a stolen car full of arsonists up my steep driveway - the driver of the stolen car hadn't realised it was a cul-de-sac so had abandoned the stolen car at the start of the cul-de-sac and the criminals spread out in hopes of escape. Two sets of flashing lights were on police dog utes - the PDs and PD handlers had raced after whichever chap they could see running. Between my dog pens and my car-shed a cop was leaning over a prostrate chap. That chap had hoped to escape through my open car-shed - but 2 of the hinges on the rear door were rusted, and opening it took so long that the front cop had caught him and forced him to lie down.

Over the next several months I had to buy 3 new lawnmowers and 3 new chainsaws - I assume it was the chap who had been caught in my car-shed, out to "get his revenge" on me. Presumably after he served his time in gaol there was another attempt to steal the lawnmower from under the house, but THAT one was secured to a house-pile by a hefty chain.

But I have walked my way around much of my suburb (and others) doing door-to-door research work, and have walked one or two of my GSDs around my suburb at night, and the city centre and the coastal beach areas in daylight, with my only fear being whether someone ELSE's pooch would attack mine.

My impression is that, in the USA, dogs are less likely to be stolen for the ransom value than for use as feeble-mouthed "bait" with which to train the fighting dogs that vicious bastards gamble on which fighting dog will survive, or how long one will take to kill the other.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

๐Ÿ˜› To discuss GSDs, join some groups such as

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

by sending an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about GSDs. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

To find other groups or breeds, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE.

๐Ÿ˜› Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

What you paid for a dog doesn't determine its "worth". Let me guess - a "Goldendoodle" mutt?

I have a show quality Newfoundland that is surely worth more than your dog and I've never felt like someone is just going to run up and steal him.

Did you just post this to make yourself seem "special" that you ooooh have an "expensive" dog? NO ONE is impressed. You're kinda pathetic.

this question is not as odd as it sounds.....as far back as twenty years ago walking my dogs and becoming friendly with other pet owners I'd see occasionally, there was one man walking his husky and he told me of an encounter with a few people which made him fearful....he was stopped while walking and the group commented on what a nice looking dog he had....he became nervous of a potential theft so he told them that yes she was nice, but her looks were deceiving that she'd already bitten once and that he advises strangers to stay away...... also more recently I saw a plea written and posted in a neighborhood pet store about a stolen yorkie, the owner had left her car for just a moment to pick up something for her dad, unfortunately she had left the car door unlocked and her yorkie was stolen, this in just a few minutes...I became extremely nervous reading the panic in the loss of her dog...

needless to say I ALWAYS lock my car doors, alarm is turned on with my dogs inside... also at home when I am out and the dogs inside, I put my home in serious lockdown....

• Aged Kiwi

You need to get help for overcoming paranoia, or to move to somewhere where you don't NEED be paranoid.

How should we know if your neighborhood is safe or not?

Well not many want to even try to steal a Wolfdog so I do not face that problem. And if i did im pretty sure he wouldnt give them an easy time of it at all either. They also couldnt get him to do anything because he is trained only to react to a foreign language One that very few have any understanding of . it not being either a national language at all....but a now nearly forgotten form of Sanskrit called Pokadi Chib

Source(s): Romanichalle Shepherd

Probably, most people wouldn't know a well bred dog if they saw one. Most people are rather ignorant about dogs. Just tell people it is a X breed. They don't need to know how much you paid for it.

When you pay 1 or 2 thousand dollars for a dog, I would have fears of it being stolen too.

As well you should be concerned. Here in the San Francisco area we just recently had a dog-napping right off the streets in front of the dog-walker. Fortunately they caught the napper and got the dog back.

It's the small, designer dogs that are the most vulnerable. So if your dog is under, say, 30#, you should be extra vigilant.

• ?

Why have an expensive dog if you're too afraid to interact with it? Get a garbage dog and have all the fun you want with it. Let people who are comfortable with monetary risk deal with the money stuff.