Why is my 2016 Mustang so damn slow?!?

It’s an Ecoboost, first and foremost. I put in supreme gas, but, I could not pull away from a 2017-19 Kia Rio! So, I decided that it was just bad gas. Today, I couldn’t pass a 2006-08 Dodge Ram diesel (the kind with the wide ***, not too sure what they’re called). I’m sure if he didn’t brake I would have passed him eventually. But, it was taking seconds for me to catch up. Also, car websites where I can get advice and ask questions like these?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Have you ever researched the absurd power and torque figures of a modern diesel pickup? Many of them make 400+hp and 800+++ lb-ft of torque, bone stock. (And many of the older ones are only a plug-in tuner and some very cheap mods away from making similarly absurd amounts of power/torque). Yes those trucks are big and heavy, but that's a LOT of torque and power. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dualy leave an ecoboost Mustang in the dust for a short stretch at lower speeds.

As for the Rio, I don't know what to tell you there. Your car should be significantly faster than a Rio (a couple of seconds faster through a 1/4 mile if you're comparing documented performance figures), but that 2 second difference assumes the Mustang doesn't spin the tires and is being driven at wide open throttle and shifted at/near redline in every gear etc., - if the Mustang driver was short shifting and/or got a craptastic start/spun the tires off the line etc., while the Rio got a perfect launch and just held it to the floor the whole time, it could take the Mustang a while to reel the Rio in.

• Login to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Because you were a cheapskate and didn't get the V8.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

You didn't buy a car for speed. It's designed for economy. To improve performance you'd not only have to modify te motor, but the trans & rear end. If you want performance, trade it in.

• 8 months ago

"It’s an Ecoboost," There you go.

The Mustang is a very heavy car. The Ecoboost option simply doesn't cut it.

You buy a Mustang and go for the "eco" option. Doh!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You're wasting your money on "supreme" gas. READ the owner's manual that came with the car. It will tell you the proper fuel to use.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I rather think it's you that's slow. The gas octane has no effect on performance except for some exotic sports cars. A good mechanic will diagnose the power deficit.

• Ian
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Mustang: That's a Cortina right? You should have got the 2.3i engine.

• Ian K
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Well 600+ foot/pounds of torque on the truck explains a bit of it.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

rnaybe you should have a rnechanic check it out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.