Testing a motherboard without a Cpu?

I just bought an Asus Prime X399-a socket tr4 off of ebay as used. I am still waiting on the cpu to arrive and I wanted to test the motherboard out as soon as possible so I could return it in case its broken. I went ahead and hooked all the power cords up and a cpu fan to see what would happen. The only thing the motherboard does is light up the RGB lighting next to the M.2 heatsink. I will not power on at all, no fans will turn, and it will not make any beeps. Is this an indicator of a bad board or normal behavior for not having a cpu installed. (I do have ram installed)

SOme newer mother boards can boot in the bios but can't do more than that

You must have a CPU installed.

The CPU is needed for reading the BIOS. Otherwise the board will behave like any other dead motherboard.

No CPU = BIOS won't work.

Normally If you hook everything up except for the CPU, the fans will at least spin and the lighting might activate.

• Fulano

I always thought it would be a nice feature for the motherboard to have enough processor built in to run the BIOS so you could test it, but with the fancy UEFI changes it's probably take too much of a processor to be worth the price.

But yes, like geek-in-training said, motherboards don't really do anything without a CPU.

normal behavior for not having a cpu installed