Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 6 months ago

How long does it take to receive blood test results?

On Friday I had 25 OH vitamin D, vitamin B12, thyroid function test, liver function test, full blood count, HBAC1 screen sample and UE (renal) blood tests. How long will it take for the results? My local doctors opens tomorrow

UK answer

You've said in previous questions that you're concerned that you have leukaemia and that your symptoms came on suddenly last week. Firstly, leukemia symptoms do not come on suddenly like that and you likely do have a nasty viral infection that'll last 10 days max. Secondly, if your blood tests were 'urgent' you would have been sent to your local hospital to have them done so that you'd receive the results the same day. If any doctor suspects any type of cancer then the patient is automatically sent to a specialist and seen within 14 days, usually a lot sooner.

Regular blood test results can come back in as soon as 3 days to as long as a week or more if the lab is busy plus they're unlikely to do routine bloods on a weekend - they're too busy with paracetamol overdoses and alcohol poisoning cases. If you have access to online GP services where you can make appointments and request repeat prescriptions, the lab results will show up under test results.

Your GP surgery will only phone you if there's an issue with your test results that you need to discuss with a doctor, so no news is good news. The receptionists are incredibly busy on Mondays so that can delay them calling you and they can't discuss the results with you personally.

I suggest that you stop googling cancer symptoms and rest and get plenty of fluids; take paracetamol if you're in pain. If the bug doesn't pass within 2 weeks, or the surgery doesn't call you, make another GP appointment. If your symptoms get worse call 111 any time of the day or night for advice from a medical professional. They can refer you to the out of hours GP service, arrange a home visit if you're really unwell, direct you to A&E or even send an ambulance.

EDIT: THE LADY THAT TOOK YOUR BLOOD WAS ONLY A PHLEBOTOMIST SO IT WASN'T HER JOB TO DO THE BLOOD WORK OR TELL YOU THE RESULTS (YOU ONLY NEED 2 GCSEs TO BECOME ONE AND IT'S ON THE JOB TRAINING). IF YOU DID HAVE CANCER A DOCTOR WOULD HAVE LITERALLY COME TO YOUR DOOR TO BREAK THE NEWS BY NOW AND WITH AN ADMISSION LETTER TO GET YOU STRAIGHT INTO HOSPITAL OR EVEN AN AMBULANCE. PHONE YOUR GP SURGERY TOMORROW FOR CONFIRMATION OF YOUR TEST RESULTS - THE HOSPITAL WILL HAVE SENT THEM ELECTRONICALLY. IF THEY ASK YOU TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IT MEANS THEY'VE FOUND SOMETHING BUT IT'S NOT CANCER. AS I SAID BEFORE, NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS BUT FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. I KNOW SERIOUS ILLNESS SO I KNOW THE FEELING...

Source(s): I'm chronically ill and have over 20 blood tests done once a year, including all the ones you've mentioned, plus others as and when needed. Most labs refuse to do the vitamin D test as it's expensive and the NHS is cutting costs. Mine is always refused now even though the sample is sent.
    • Autumn

You might want to consider changing GPs as he was wrong to worry you so much over common symptoms and make you go to the hospital.

I just had my blood drawn last Wednesday. And the MD gave me all the results the next Friday. Two days.

But if your lab is backlogged with lots of tests in the queue, it'll take longer.