Guys I need your advice on my boyfriends behavior?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 12 years. He is 29, I am 30. He now tells me that he wants to participate in Palo mayombe religion. When I first met him he told me that his father was into that religion. I asked him if he was or ever was considering it. He said No, never. So I stayed with him. After all... show more My boyfriend and I have been together for 12 years. He is 29, I am 30. He now tells me that he wants to participate in Palo mayombe religion. When I first met him he told me that his father was into that religion. I asked him if he was or ever was considering it. He said No, never. So I stayed with him. After all this time he tells me he wants to join this. I told him that if he was considering participating that I couldn't be with him anymore because I am not comfortable with it. He said, people change, I'm narrow minded, and am only thinking about myself. He said " I dont want to break up with you, you want to break up with me. I told him to call me back when he gets his life together. He calls me yesterday telling me that he misses me and he cant change his decision because its going to help him out. He said we will find a way to fix it. He calls me again later that night and dosent want to talk about the religion, when i bring it up he says hes not changing for me, its his way or the highway and he dosent want to be told what to do.This is very confusing for me, I seem to be getting mixed messages from him. Ultimately he knew a long time ago if he were to get involved with this that I would leave. If a guy really loves a woman wouldnt he do everything in his power to keep her or am i not being understanding?
Update: He also told me " i dont know why im calling you if were never going to be on the same page"
Update 2: already knowing that i would never change my feelings on the matter.