Why is the Mallard steam train kept in a museum and never out on the mainline?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RichB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It takes many years and an absolute ton of cash to restore a steam locomotive to running condition - and get it certified to run on the mainline - as opposed to static museum display condition.

In "Mallard"'s current state, it doesn't have to work, it just has to look nice. As it stands, there is another Gresley Class A4 locomotive that runs on the mainline ("Sir Nigel Gresley") so it is not felt that this has to be done for Mallard as well.

It's worth reading about the recent restoration of "Flying Scotsman", and the many pitfalls that occurred, to understand just how difficult this is.

• 5 months ago

Mallard isn t a steam train. It s a steam locomotive. The train is the locomotive and rolling stock together.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Because it is like me an antique, and it's days of use are over.

• 6 months ago

Probably for the same reason Stanley steamer CARS are in museums and private collections.

(You're a 34 y/o "undergraduate" and couldn't figure THIS out on your own?)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

The legal reason is that it no longer has a valid mainline certificate.

The practical reasons are:

1) It's very old and historically important, and they don't wan to risk it breaking.

2) Steam locomotives use more energy to run, and make more pollution, than diesels.

3) The mainlines no longer have the equipment in place to keep refilling the water everywhere that is needed

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Also doesn’t conform to the signalling equipment requirements. Unlike the recently-built Tornado.

• 6 months ago

I think they realised it was named after a duck. I heard its staying in the museum until a more appropriate name is found so that's why!

• 6 months ago

i think the last time it was used on the main line there was a problem with people trespassing on line to take photos so that's why!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.