Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 months ago

How would an AMD Phenom II X4 965 hold up today?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • YKhan
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It might do okay in non-gaming apps, but in games, it lacks some of the most modern instruction set extensions that various modern games use, such as AVX.

• 6 months ago

I'm using the AMD Phenom II x4 955 on my secondary desktop. It holds up better then you would think. Yea its not high end but it can handle playing Doom 2016 with an amd r9 390 and get decent fps. Doesn't have any problems with surfing the web or watching youtube. As long as you don't need to play the newest titles on highest graphics or anything like that then it would be fine. Wouldn't recommend going out and buying one though unless your getting a really good deal on it.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I've got the 2 core version of that CPU in my kid's desktop. It still does pretty well, runs Age of Wonders 3 at about 30 FPS which is a somewhat CPU heavy game. That's about the heaviest game I run on it, other than older single threaded games.

If you're upgrading or buying a new machine, I'd really try for something newer. You can get a 4 core first gen Ryzen and a motherboard that supports the latest CPU upgrades for $120.

• 6 months ago

slowly by modern standards. ok for websurfing and light home office. modern games? they'd run slow

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It will still work like great for basic usage

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

very bad, 10 year old amd chip... probably too slow for just youtube and office. some atom in a tablet or netbook will be like 10 times faster

• Fulano
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's actually still faster than the latest Atom CPU.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.