Ive been vegetarian for 4 months and still feel tired?

Been feeling tired a lit since becoming veggie, and i eat lots of vegetables, but i find myself needing naps a lot and feeling tired most of the time. Anyone have any tips?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I have question. You said you are 'still" tired.

Were you tired before becoming vegetarian?

Being vegetarian doesn't help fatigue if its not diet induced.

There are several reasons to be tired all the time.

Over worked. Low iron, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, extreme stress.

As to diet related, are you eating enough calories? no matter what the diet, if you are eating lots of healthy salads, you won't be getting near enough calories. Salad ingredients are chock full of nutrients but notoriously low in calories.

You still need plenty of healthy carbohydrates(potatoes, rices, carrots, peas, dry beans) and iron(dry beans, nuts, seeds, diary and eggs)

Do a calorie count on what you eat in a day. If its under 1500-2000 calories a day, there is your reason for fatigue.

Are you drinking enough water? To find out, what color is your pee? If its pale lemon colored, you are fine..if its getting close to apple juice in color, you aren't getting enough liquids.

If all is well in all these things, see your doctor. Not all illnesses are diet related.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I found you have these side effects I would encourage a few things, one taking B12 supplement pills or start eating meat again because the human body requires both meat and vegetation to thrive , humans are not meant to Be vegan we are omnivores.

• 6 months ago

You need protein like eggs, chickpeas, cheese.

• 6 months ago

Although vegetarian sounds healthy you are depriving yourself of needed nutrients.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

"Ive been vegetarian for 4 months and still feel tired?"

Having been a vegetarian for four months, and if you're still feeling tired, then there's more at play than just diet, and I agree with the one answer given about possible causes.Even if you're getting enough calories, there could be an absorption issue, with some of the nutrients you get in thee foods you're eating. Malabsorption issues can only be detected via blood work though, and simply put, no one online can diagnose that, if it is an issue, or even the specifics of what it might be. However as another point, and without an idea of what your daily meals looks like, it makes it hard to tell if you're getting enough calories over the course of the day. Some of us are able to look, and are able to tell at a glance basically, if there's a calorie shortage.

There are very few people who can carry off a very low calorie diet, and hit every possible essential nutrient required. Now by low calorie this means anything twelve hundred calories or less.Now any diet that drops to, or below one thousand are in what's generally considered the anorexic level caloric intake. As such anyone attempting to follow such a diet, even if THEY'RE NOT an anorexic, will feel tired and fatigued after a few days or a couple of at the most weeks normally.

Now as for vitamin D, that's a very common issue around the world. However before embarking on taking a vitamin D supplement, once again a blood work is needed to be done. Neither exposure to the sun nor diet has anything to do with being low, or even outright deficient in it. There are plenty of people who spend a lot of time outside in the sun during the optimal hours for their body's to produce this vitamin, or now classed as a hormone, that still comes up low or even outright deficient in it. As pointed out before with depression, it can and does play a role in being, or feeling fatigued.

As for fiber, that plays little if any role in feeling tired. Fiber can be important in heart and colon health. Now if you're going to continue to be a vegetarian, I strongly urge doing some reading, and learning what foods contains what nutrients, as well as in what amounts. Modifiers are also important with how a food is served and eaten, as these can affect the nutritional values of what you eat. Some of the modifiers are, baked, broiled, canned, cooked (this includes steamed, dry or moist heat), dried, dry roasted, fried, raw and roasted. Here are two examples of the search I use.

broccoli raw nutritional value

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and...

broccoli cooked nutritional value

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and...

Now I use nutritiondata.self.com as it has the most complete set of tables, along with being easy to read. With the labels on food packaging, all to many only cover a few basic nutritional points. The same applies to what you're going to find on most websites, you look at. Now while nutritiondata.self.com isn't perfect, it's the best I've found to date. There is still a good bit of information, that's missing, but it's complete enough, to give anyone a good start, to eating a more healthy diet.

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

low iron levels.Meat has a lot of iron. eat food high in iron, I know leafy greens have a lot of iron. u could even see your dr, and he may suggest the right foods as a vegetarian to eat.

• Wendigo
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Plant based foods are a good source if iron but has a caveat, which is and even applies to iron derived from meat, is a good idea to have a food high in vitamin C, to help with the absorption of the iron found inn those foodstuffs

• 6 months ago

Have a steak .

• John
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Eat more protein, like grains, quinoa, nuts, etc.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Well, if you're ensuring that you get all the necessary nutrition you need and that you have made up for the things missing from your diet by not eating meat (and it would be silly not to) your diet can't be the cause. Unless there is some other obvious cause that you've not mentioned then I'd suggest you consult a doctor.

Update”: chukabutty makes a great point that I missed - “still” tired. Becoming vegetarian isn't going to affect that.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Grab a double cheeseburger with bacon. You'll feel a lot better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.