Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 12 months ago

My one year olds poop is been hard like pebbles for over 2 weeks what does this mean ?

I’m thinking about taking him to the doctors Monday because this don’t seem normal to me ? He drinks so much water so I don’t see how he can be constipated but the poo is very hard and like small pebbles and sometimes there’s blood on the outside where he’s ripped as it’s hard just like he’s constipated he’s on cows milk never had any problems before could it be this ? What likely may the doctors day ?

• Pat

get off your ***

go to the store

get him a stool softener.

Cow's milk is notoriously constipating, regardless of how much water they drink. It's generally the first thing a doctor will say to eliminate or at least cut down on.

Be very careful if the doctor prescribes Miralax. It's not recommended for children that young, because it causes a rebound effect when you taper back off, making the problem worse.

• Angie

You should take him to the doctor. My son also became constipated around that age. He was my first child, so I didn't always know what was the normal amount he should be going, but his poop was also very hard, and he started acting like he was having trouble sitting up. I was concerned that him no longer sitting was a problem with his back, and took him to the doctor and they did an X-ray. Turns out, his back wasn't the problem. The X-ray showed he was full of poop, literally. He wasn't sitting up because of the discomfort in his tummy. The doctor gave him a prescription stool softener in a tasteless powder form that we could put in any of his food or drinks, and that did the trick. He had later had allergy tests which ruled out food problems. He is just prone to constipation, and we periodically have to give him his stool softener. He also drank a lot of milk, and we cut back on how much we let him have every day. But yes, you should definitely get him checked out by his doctor.

He sounds constipated. Is he eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables