Ray asked in Social ScienceSociology · 6 months ago

Has the internet turned people toxic?

Update:

Do you think it's better to avoid the internet?

Update 2:

I'm reconsidering the way how I use the internet. Maybe cutting back is the alternative.

65 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It’s possible. I’ve seen it on here, even been part of that toxicity in my worse moments. I know that people have lost their marriages and careers because of this technology....we’ve seen that happen to even well known celebrities, politicians and regular people. It played a large part in my own divorce, for certain. The Internet, social media, etc., is like a loaded gun... if you pull the trigger by accident, not much chance of getting that bullet back and undoing the damage it’s capable of

• 6 months ago

No, it's just made their inherent toxicity easier and safer to express.

• 6 months ago

No it’s been toxic and you know we’re those haughty people go hell

• 6 months ago

Absolutely, but not everyone.. The internet allows people to be confrontational without consequences..People can hide behind a computer or a cell phone & say all kind of things they wouldn't say in public. It allows lies, misinformation & half truths to be perpetrated. There are too many one sided conversations on the internet..It reduces thought & complicated subjects to one-liners & slogans. Then there is fb which further promotes misinformation as well as cyber-bullying & feeds needy, greedy & self-serving egos with like buttons & friend counts..If not for the internet there would be no such thing as "fake news" There would be less teenage suicide & desire to kill classmates. The internet is amazing for all the info. that can easily be obtained, but it's a horrible communication tool. It also allows many with evil intentions to easily carry-out their misdeeds.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Only if they let it. Some ppl can't wait to get their hands on a computer so they can bully ppl online. It makes them feel better bc they're miserable ppl.

• 6 months ago

YES: its made it all too easy to be insulting via the key board while hiding behind a screen

• Jeremy
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

To some extent, particular sites such as Facebook.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In many way, the Internet has allowed ordinary people a voice, a chance to speak their minds

I guess the problem is the belief that everyone has a valid opinion. They don't!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The internet is a dangerous place and people need to be careful. It has made a lot of people keyboard warriors and they say things they would never say to a person's face.

• 6 months agoReport

It makes someone “Think” their tougher than they really are.

• 6 months ago

No, not really.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.