Ray asked in Social ScienceSociology · 6 months ago

Has the internet turned people toxic?

Do you think it's better to avoid the internet?

I'm reconsidering the way how I use the internet. Maybe cutting back is the alternative.

It’s possible. I’ve seen it on here, even been part of that toxicity in my worse moments. I know that people have lost their marriages and careers because of this technology....we’ve seen that happen to even well known celebrities, politicians and regular people. It played a large part in my own divorce, for certain. The Internet, social media, etc., is like a loaded gun... if you pull the trigger by accident, not much chance of getting that bullet back and undoing the damage it’s capable of

No, it's just made their inherent toxicity easier and safer to express.

No it’s been toxic and you know we’re those haughty people go hell

Absolutely, but not everyone.. The internet allows people to be confrontational without consequences..People can hide behind a computer or a cell phone & say all kind of things they wouldn't say in public. It allows lies, misinformation & half truths to be perpetrated. There are too many one sided conversations on the internet..It reduces thought & complicated subjects to one-liners & slogans. Then there is fb which further promotes misinformation as well as cyber-bullying & feeds needy, greedy & self-serving egos with like buttons & friend counts..If not for the internet there would be no such thing as "fake news" There would be less teenage suicide & desire to kill classmates. The internet is amazing for all the info. that can easily be obtained, but it's a horrible communication tool. It also allows many with evil intentions to easily carry-out their misdeeds.

Only if they let it. Some ppl can't wait to get their hands on a computer so they can bully ppl online. It makes them feel better bc they're miserable ppl.

YES: its made it all too easy to be insulting via the key board while hiding behind a screen

• Jeremy

To some extent, particular sites such as Facebook.

• Brian

In many way, the Internet has allowed ordinary people a voice, a chance to speak their minds

I guess the problem is the belief that everyone has a valid opinion. They don't!

The internet is a dangerous place and people need to be careful. It has made a lot of people keyboard warriors and they say things they would never say to a person's face.

• 6 months agoReport

It makes someone “Think” their tougher than they really are.

No, not really.