Are there any ideas about the size of the non-observable part of the universe/?

Don't tell me the size of the observable universe, because every time I look for an answer for this question I always read, "the observable universe has a radius of 46.5 billion light years.". Yes I know that. The question is, how big is the ENTIRE universe?

So, in all answers so far nobody knows or has a theory about the size of the ENTIRE universe? I also see a paradox forming. Because 'they' say the universe is 13.6 billion years old, and they base that only on Hubble's constant with the known size of the visible universe. But if the non-observable part is at least 100 times bigger, should the universe than also not be older at the same time?

Favorite Answer

Well... there's this...:

from: https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/ask-ethan-ho...

an extract:

Observations from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the Planck satellite are where we get the best data. They tell us that if the Universe does curve back in on itself and close, the part we can see is so indistinguishable from “uncurved” that it much be at least *250 times the radius of the observable part*.

• To be honest, I can see where they're going with the case, but... 250 times - that's... really, really, really big. In my mind, I can see perhaps 8... 10... 15 times larger? Maybe? That would at least keep the *age* of the universe believably at 14 billion years.... IMHO.

• YKhan

"But if the non-observable part is at least 100 times bigger, should the universe than also not be older at the same time?"

The light we're seeing now from the CMBR was already 13.7 billion light-years away from our part of the universe when it left towards us 13.7 billion years ago. So the universe was at least 13.7 billion light-years large by then. It has now expanded out to 42 billion light-years large since then. That's just the observable part. As time goes on, more parts of the CMBR now become visible to us, so the size of our horizon increases at a rate of 1 light-year-per-year. The Big Bang happened everywhere at the same time, it didn't happen just at one little point.

• Snowwie8886 months agoReport

I would rather think our visible universe would be shrinking since it's expanding faster and faster thus shifting the horizon back to us.

It's about 93 million light years across, but we can only see about 48 million light years in any one direction. This is based on the assumption that scientists know the rate of expansion at various times. We do know the age of the universe. Right now, the expansion is speeding up.

• Snowwie8886 months agoReport

Can't you read the question?

It might be infinite or finite. If it is finite, we have no idea what its circumference is. The universe does not have an edge. That would violate relativity. But everyone forgets the possibility that it might be finite but unbounded. It is the 3 dimensional surface of a 4 dimensional hypersphere. If you go far enough in a straight line, you return to your starting point.

Although we can't observe the entire universe, we might be able to calculate its size if a theory gives us the size of space before inflation and the rate and duration of inflation and the rate of regular expansion since then.

The most viable notion is it is infinite. Likely what lies beyond what we can see is just more universe.

Einstein was not exactly a dummy, he published his paper on relativity at 16.

The more modern astrophysicist like Hawking and Tyson, have come along and shown more yet, he was right

I think the Universe is endless

In fact, Infinite

I mean what could be there to stop it ??

It is like the old question, how long is a bit of String ??

The Clever Answer to that is. Twice the Length of Half of it !

if we cannot observe it, how are we supposed to know? It could end two meters beyond the limits of our observations and we could never know. It is very unlikely of course, but the point is that we cannot know what we cannot know.

• neb

If the universe is positively curved, and if we could detect that curvature in the observable universe ( and so far we can’t), then we could determine its size from measurement.

Anything up to and including infinite -- and that's as far as we know.

Only it must contain Asgard and be big enough for Thor's ego ...

It can't be properly measured, due to there is no definite boundary of the known universe.