What happens if you choose a military major at your college?

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to military stuff so I'm not sure what happens. I'm currently in my first year (undeclared) and the college I attend offers a program in Military Science, which is within the school's Army ROTC program but it's a major on its own.

If I was to go into this major, would I be required to join the military? The program description says it trains students to become military officers while implementing a science background. Obtaining military training sounds like a big achievement and all but I do not wanna become contracted to join the service as that is not my intended career path. Thank you for your help!

Favorite Answer

Yeah, that degree would be worthless for you, even if you could get into the program without joining.

If you think it'll prepare you for a civilian sector job in the DoD or intelligence community, it won't. Find an Intelligence Studies program. Or get a Computer Science degree.

My main reason for interest in this program is wanting to enter government jobs. You provided a good point there so I will select you as a best answer.

Then choose something practical like medicine or science. I don't see the point in military studies if you don't intend on working for the DoD in some capacity the rest of your life.

You don't. We wouldn't want you to have a bad boss who they call the screaming eagle....

There is NO SUCH THING as a military major in college.

ROTC IS NOT a major. It is a program under which the military pays for your education in exchange for you COMMITTING to serve as an officer for a predetermined term of service.

Note: You have to join BEFORE you are admitted into ROTC.

• JetDoc

If you DON'T intend to seek a commission in the military, then what purpose would there be in taking a military science major? It would be an absolutely useless college degree, and a total waste of time and money.

• Mrsjvb

The only people who can get that major are contracted ROTC cadets..who are commissioned as officers in the military

"but I do not wanna become contracted to join the service as that is not my intended career path"...then WTF would you want that type of degree? But yes, you would be required to serve if you actually made it to your Junior year in the program. If you don't sign the contract, then you get dropped from the program and you get to start all over again with a different major.

ROTC is a commissioning program, if your do the advanced ROTC course, you must go into the military.

• Mark B

In order to take the military science major, you would be required to take the MS III and MS IV ROTC classes. You MUST be contracted to take those courses. If you aren't contracted to be commissioned and join the military as an officer, you won't be able to take advanced ROTC courses and you won't be able to major in Military Science.

You join the ARMY, and then retire 30 years later ....................

Source(s): Retired ARMY SFC.
    • Mark B

20 years is retirement. 28 years is max service for officers unless you make O-6.