Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

How do I convince my dad to let me keep a puppy?

My husky just had puppies 2 weeks ago and I want to keep one. My dad hasn’t said no he just laughs when I say I want to keep one of the puppies. I already know which one I want, I just need to figure out how to convince him to let me keep her.

My dad is not a backyard breeder. All of our dogs and puppies have been brought to the vet. My dad has been doing this for years and has the safety and health of these dogs as a top priority. The father of these puppies is our male husky, and not some random dog of the street. The female and male huskies are both healthy.

• Jay R
    Favorite Answer

How old are you? Do you have a job? Are you able to support this now puppy, later large dog? It can cost $17,000 over the lifetime of such an animal. Don't bother your dad with this matter.

I hope you and your dad get arrested for being backyard breeders.

why should i suggest a solution to a back yard breeder do tell

• J M

Are you able to commit to taking care of the dog. That includes paying for food and medical care.

• Ocimom

Its not your dog, its not your decision. Your father says NO. Accept it and move on. What you DO need to do is convince your father to spay the dog.

Your dad is a BYBer (backyard breeder) & you do not want any of those pups. Poorly bred, no genetic testing, no special selection of a male. I would not be surprise if one or more of those pups end up in a pound, a shelter or a rescue. BYBers are creating an extreme over population of dogs across the world. I would never buy a dog from a BYBer cause I can get one just like yours for a $5 adoption fee at the pound.

• Jojo

Just don`t.

Your family already have an unspayed female dog which probably should never have been bred from. I doubt its got any credentials to its name or got all A1 health results.

Now you want to add another female to the family and it will probably be bred from like it`s mother has been.

You sound like a child and you have no means of paying out on this pup (food, vets bills,wormers etc so that would fall on your parents backs. No wonder your Dad says no, to another dog. Also Husky`s need lots of hard exercise and I bet YOU are still in school.

All kids love puppies, but do not realise the hard work and the expense needed to raise one and keep one.

Stop pestering your dad and be satisified with the dog that is already around for you. Pups do not STAY pups for very long and `you` will lose interest in it as it reaches adulthood.

Your horrible father is a backyard breeder. Why would he want to keep one of his ill bred puppies when that means not just cutting into his profits but burdening him with the expense of that puppy?

Get your effing dogs ALTERED.

Unless you are living independantly from your parents, they het to make the final decisions on pets.

The fact that your Husky had puppies shows it is likely you are giving inadequate care.

Who pays the vet bills? The food bills? Who exercises the dog (huskies need to RUN for at least an hour each day)? Who trains the dog? Who would do all this for the puppy ... for the next 15 years? Do you plan to go to college or leave home some other way in the next few years? Where do you think would allow even 1 husky???

If you haven't shown him that you can be responsible for taking care of the mother Husky and all the things that she requires without being asked to, there probably is nothing you can say that will convince him. I can't blame him if he doesn't want to have another dog to care for if he says yes.