I want to connect my PS4 directly to the modem, but also have the modem connected to a Router. How do I do this?

• YKhan

That's not how it works.

A "splitter" is also known as a hub, which is nothing but a simple low level networking device that gives you extra connections: it doesn't operate at the IP level of networking. A router is a much higher level networking device, which operates at the much higher level of IP addresses. A router also may have it's own built-in splitter, but that doesn't prevent you from adding another splitter after the router to get even more connectors.

So you would need to put the splitter into one of the router ports, and you can increase the number of connector ports for your whole network. Your PS4 ethernet cable would go on one of these splitter ports after the router.

Unplug one ethernet cable, plug in the other one when changing the devices you use (PS4, router/computers).

Search Google for a mechanical ethernet RJ45 switch.

• Dave

You can't. Modems are an either/or connection. Modem -> router or Modem -> PS4. Can't do both.

• opurt

Many or most home ISPs will limit you to only a single device behind the modem, or charge extra to have a second device connected.

You can try rebooting the modem after connecting things -- and by "splitter" I'm assuming you mean it's a hub or switch. You can't just use a splitter the same way you can a phone or cable line. It's probably best to do things the right way and configure the router to properly handle the PS4 (DMZ, port forwarding, or UPNP).

I'm currently using a netgear splitter that splits from the router to my devices, I tried to use that to connect the modem to the splitter, to connect directly to the PS4, to connect to the router, to connect to the other devices, which did not work.

• Tracy L

That will never work,, the modem can ONLY supply ONE unit period not two. Either the PS4 or the router but never both at the same exact time! Routers have to supply LOCAL IP's if not you don't work. Basic Networking 101!