Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Is college still worth it?

I don't feel like college would worth it for me, someone who isn't wealthy or academically inclined. I feel like I would be miserable in a setting like a college, and that I would never make the money back that I would spend on it. However, those around me have been pressuring me to go despite knowing I don't want to go since around the age of 12. I'm 17 now, what should I do instead?

• Teal
    Favorite Answer

There is no value in getting a degree just to have one, it doesn't open doors like it used to. It would only be worth it if you were genuinely passionate about a specific field of study or had clear career goals in mind. You should get a part time job now if you haven't already. Being employed and having work experience will make it easier to get a full time job after you graduate.

Though if you want an affordable education with good job potential, look in to trade schools.

University can be of Value if you Pick the Right degree one that will get you a Job

Of course it is! And I believe it will always be

• zeno

A few might be but it will take a lot of searching

To find one not controlled by looney liberals.

My prediction is that journey level electricians will make almost as much as doctors in 20 years and plumbers won't be much less than that.

• drip

If you are in the USA, go to your local community college. Get a meeting with the admissions office. See what two year career programs they offer. One community college near us offer an program and certificate to drive an 18-wheel truck, a great culinary pastry course and medical billing. See what your CC offers that interests you.

Don’t go on to a four year Bachelor degree if it doesn’t fit you,

It depends on what field you want to get into.

Seems obvious what you should do given all we know about you. Surprised you had to ask.

You will need college because the way you're writing your paragraph intrigues me.