Bluray-DVD combo player can play dvds but not blurays?

Starting about four months ago, and gradually getting worse, I've had this issue in which my Bluray-DVD combo player can't read some (but not all) bluray disks. To make it stranger, the machine sometimes plays a bluray disk without problem the first time I watch it but if I put the disk in again, the... show more Starting about four months ago, and gradually getting worse, I've had this issue in which my Bluray-DVD combo player can't read some (but not all) bluray disks. To make it stranger, the machine sometimes plays a bluray disk without problem the first time I watch it but if I put the disk in again, the machine can't read it. DVDs still play with no problems whatsoever.

The player is a Panasonic DMP-BD85 which I've had it since 5-7-2010, slightly more than nine years now.

The firmware is 1.64 which is up to date (or at least as up to date as this model can accept).

I suspect some vital component has simply worn out but any light anyone can shed would be appreciated
Update: Dale-E, is there any product I could buy in a store with roughly the same properties?
I live in a studio apt and do not have extensive supplies here because of lack of space.