Can Americans move to England easily?

I’m a 23 year old girl with a liberal arts degree (don’t need opinions on that) and 6 years of work experience...I don’t have any criminal history

16 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    American citizen. Means you come from NOT Europe.

    You are in the group called rest of the Planet.

    You have a mystery degree in something. BE SPECIFIC.

    Up to you to see if your educational and job skills are NEEDED in the UK.

    Believe it or not there are Universities in the UK that graduate thousands of similar students too. They get first chance.for jobs. Europeans get the next round. YOU being from NOT Europe are with the rest of the planet.

    Did you graduate the Top of your class? Did you graduate from a well known in the UK place of education or was from one of the other over 4500 places that offer a degree.

    You have 6 years of work experience AS WHAT. BE specific Yes it matters what job skills related to your degree. Are those job skills in high demand in the UK.?

    You may apply for visa.

    Doubtful that you will get one. For the generic any degree it should be at least a Masters level and better at PHD level. Be about 25 or more to have the sufficient work and education skills.

    Getting a visa is no longer just having a list of minimum requirements. You need a better application package than Millions of others.

    A visa application is like a job application you show how you are a better candidate for the visa than millions of other applicants.

    In your application you answer the basic question of" WHY does the UK NEED or WANT you?"

    You wanting to move is not a Visa Officers concern.

    If you have something the UK NEEDS it is much easier to get a visa. To determine this you need to be more specific on the specifics of your degree.

    The British Government has an easy to use visa application site. YOU CAN APPLY.

    A British Visa officer will review your application and make a decision.They will want to see WHY you are a better potential immigrant than the many other applicants they have in hand.

    Expect this process to take at least a year or two. They answer is either a YES come across or NO not at this time.

    What is NEEDED does change year to year..

    STEM fields have a better chance.

    PHD's have a better chance than Masters Level.

    Bachelor Level is a small chance.

    You so far have not offered much to the UK for the purpose of a VISA to move in. YOU CAN APPLY.

    Suggest you review the UK policies on what job/educational skills are NEEDED in the UK. Look past the City of London and other big cities. You look for your start in a place that NEEDS you.

    ONLY a few thousand from the USA get a visa each year. You have ZERO chance if you do not try.

    Getting married to a Citizen of the UK greatly increases your chance of success.

    UK Citizenship is an issue you deal with AFTER you move in. About ten years from now.

    Your objective is to get in the door. Give the UK Visa Officer many reasons they should open the door for you.

    Being US citizen with liberal arts degree is not enough.

  • 5 months ago

    No chance. You must hold advanced degrees and experience in an occupation on UK's shortage list to be eligible for any temporary employment visa. IF you potentially qualify for such a visa, then you must apply for open positions in that field with AUTHORIZED employer who hold govt permission to consider foreign applicants for a position on that shortage list. You should expect to compete with 100-1000 applicants from around the world for any job which holds a possibility of a temporary employment visa. IF hired, the employer must apply for your visa.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Youneed an immigration visa, nationality doesn't count.

  • 6 months ago

    If a company is willing to sponsor you by paying the expensive skills surcharge, which they must pay themselves if they want to bring in a foreign worker. That is the big obstacle and rightly so. British jobs for British workers.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    And you can't Google how to move to the UK because?

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    No chance unless you have a skill that Employers here cannot fill from our own people.


  • 6 months ago

    It is possible, then it’s not that easy. You must have an appropriate Visa in relation to what you want to do whenever it’s work or study and have some sort of connection with someone e.g have someone willing to hire you according to your skills/ experience.

  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Only if an employer wants you and will sponsor you for an immigrant visa. Just like the USA, we don't want people who can't support themselves. This is a big reason people voted for Brexit - to stop totally free immigration from the rest of the EU.

    So you need to find a job first, with a company that wants your skills and can't find a Brit to do it. I know of a few American youtubers living in the UK and it's either because an employer wanted them so they got their visa, or they're in the air force and got posted over here. (There are still a few US air bases in Suffolk so that's where all the military ones end up living. There used to be a lot more in the days of the Cold War, with the collapse of communism 30 years ago that's less of a concern now, but the US government still thinks it's useful to have a presence around the world and we're happy to host them.)

    Without a visa, you can come for up to 6 months as a tourist, but do not have permission to work. British employers get fined if they are discovered employing someone without permission to work. Ideally you need some much-needed skill that a British employer wants or you're not going to get the necessary visa that allows you to stay longer than 6 months. No, it's not easy.

  • 6 months ago

    Moving there is not a problem, but becoming a citizen is far more difficult if that's what you mean.

    • Tavy
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      Moving here is a BIG problem.

  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    i don't see why not. maybe apply to some positions over there before you move. state your intention of moving over there, and maybe some companies might help with relocation assistance and even some form of payment of they want you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.