What is the difference between the date under the status in WhatsApp versus the "last seen" date?

I have a friend on WhatsApp where the date under his default status "Hey there! I am using WhatsApp" is June 03 2019 but what I tap on his chat, it says his last seen was August 29 2018. How is it possible that his last seen was in 2018 but his status says 2019? Does that mean the last time he was... show more I have a friend on WhatsApp where the date under his default status "Hey there! I am using WhatsApp" is June 03 2019 but what I tap on his chat, it says his last seen was August 29 2018. How is it possible that his last seen was in 2018 but his status says 2019? Does that mean the last time he was actively talking to someone was in 2018 but his WhatApp was changed or updated in 2019?

Also, does the last seen mean when you were last actively chatting or can it also mean the last time you logged in but you weren't chatting?
1 answer 1