can my parents have me declared legally incompetent without my consent? i am 33 but supported by them.?

Favorite Answer

No but they can ask one or more physicians to sign off that are you legally incompetent. Physicians are bound by law only to make that declaration if they have medically determined that you are, in fact, incompetent.

I hope they can. My dream in life is to be declared incompetent. Then I basically stay a legal child forever. You can't vote if you are incompetent, you have to be provided with food, shelter, and health care and you lose the ability to vote. Sign me up!!

• jaggoff6 months agoReport

whats your email. i wanna chat with you.

If you are incompetent - no matter whether you think you are or not - they can get you declared incompetent by someone with the authority to do so. Most people your age (there are some exceptions) who rely on their parents for financial or other support at least act incompetent. If they feel you are incompetent, that may be why they haven't simply kicked you out of the house and left you to your own devices.

• Lee6 months agoReport

They can if they have proof that you are indeed mentally incompetent. If you don't feel that you are, then call your state's bar association & see if you can get a pro bono lawyer. Here's something to think about, If your not incompetent, ask yourself why are you being supported by your parents.

Yup. They can check you into a facility and you don't get any say about it. OR, you can move out and repay them for all the years you have been sucking off them.

• Foofa

Licensed medical professionals would have to provide proof of your incompetence for a judge to grant them a conservatorship.

What are your diagnoses?

• Yeti

If you're actually incompetent, your "consent" is irrelevant.

It usually would be your doctor who would declare you incompetent. From there, your parents might pursue a guardianship. You would have the right to try and dispute it in court.

• STEVEN F

ONLY a court CAN legally declare someone incompetent, although testimony from a mental health professional is a major consideration in most cases.

It isnt a matter of whether or not you give consent.

No, your parents cannot do it either. It has to be done on the reccomendation of a professional.. Such as a psychiatrist.

• STEVEN F

FALSE. It has to be done by a court, but ANYONE can initiate the process.

Being legally declared incompetent is ALWAYS against the will of the person declared legally incompetent. In fact, if you are legally incompetent, you legally CAN'T consent to the finding.

• jaggoff6 months agoReport

how would i get to be declared legally incompetent in the first place?

Well, with the help of a court they can.

Go find a job you jackwagon