Ky asked in PetsOther - Pets · 6 months ago

Is hummus vegan?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A traditional hummus recipe is vegan - and it's very, very easy to make great hummus at home.

Sometimes they put unexpected ingredients in store-bought or restaurant food so you have to read the ingredients or ask. I've actually seen hummus with parmesan - maybe they were trying to make it more like pesto? I've also seen nacho cheese hummus. I know, right?

• 5 months ago

Yes because they are on a diet.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes .. it should be.

It's just mashed Chick Peas, Tahini (Sesame Seed paste), Garlic, Vegetable Oil, Lemon Juice and whatever spices you want to add (I usually add Cumin).

• Jeff H
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Traditional hummus is vegan however there are some variations out there which may only qualify as vegetarian.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Traditionally, it's made from sesame seed paste and ground chickpeas. If that's the case, veg away.

• 6 months ago

Yes if you make it yourself. It can be just legumes such as chick-peas, ans some lemon juice.

Store bought Hummus *might* be vegan, depending on what gunk the manufacturer feels compelled to put in it. Read the label.

Personally I make my own, it is so easy. As for store bought: I would be more worried about the incredible amount of salt they load into it rather than whether it is vegan or not.

• Beth
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Yes, it is vegan

• 6 months ago

typically yes.

When I made it as a restaurant it was just cooked garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic,cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, tahini and vegetable oil.

• 6 months ago

Yes! Hummus is made of chickpeas, which are plants.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

really don't care ................IT'S TERRIBLE !!!!

• Ky6 months agoReport

Then why feel the need to answer? Useless comment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.