How should I go about sealing/blocking this gap/hole?

I recently moved into a new apartment a week ago and there is a minor roach issue. I’m working on sealing/blocking the gaps/holes like such to completely seal off my home and eliminate any opening possible before it gets worse. It’s the only way to permanently fix any insect issue.

I couldn’t care less about the look of the sealing/blockage. I just want a fast, easy, and permanent way to have this gap closed off. I plan to Flex Glue the other cracks/minor openings in the corners (would that work for this as well? I assumed not as the opening seemed too large but wasn’t positive) . This gap here consist of my dishwasher, drywall, and wooden cabinet at the top and is about 6 inches tall 4 inches wide. Thanks for the help.

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

can of spray insulation FOAM .....................

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Don't worry about it . It just goes to the back wall baseboard.The base of the cabinet (the grey board ) is a box laid down on the floor first to raise the cabinet off the floor and then the cabinet is just set on the square box.. In new homes they would have laid this box down first and the cabinet on top AND THEN THE WHITE BASEBOARD COVERS THE narrow slit where the grey box is nailed to the wall. It is more an appearance thing. What is normally done is a good piece of brown wood that is 3" wide is cut to shape like the wall/baseboard and is butted up against it and the thin wood strip is glued to the grey wood so it looks FINISHED.

. This is a RENTAL which is why stuff was just slammed in there. Good enough for the "renters"

. the hole does not go outside. it is still in the kitchen "room". The back wall stops it from going anywhere. Stick an old sock in the hole and you can stare at the old sock....or a roll of cash. Your choice.

. If you never look down that low, you never see the hole.

Besides, it is a rental unit so TALK TO THE LANDLORD. He will basically tell you the same thing...I said.

"No worries"

It is not a NEW apartment. I can see that it has been repainted meaning it has been used multiple times before you.

• 7 months ago

You DON'T seal the gap between appliances and walls.

Even if sealing gaps was the answer, you have the apartment OWNER do it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Get some spray foam insulation and spray in there and chop out the overspray. Buy a board and cut out the shape and calk the crack around it. Paint it. Forget the glues. Buy a caulk gun and some caulk that is paintable. Use the caulk for glue. A paint job would do wonders.

• 7 months ago

if you have cuka rachas,,follow the advice above,if not,,use ab exacto knife to trim the dried out goopy sticky cauk on the baseboard quarter round,,wipe with windex & a clean rag,so the area is clean,get durabond,and like a sq foot of screen mesh,cut with scissors so the spaces are filled about a qtr inch below even with surrounding material,mix durabond w water,,apply a tacky paste to the screen mesh,let set,,fill in more so it sags a bit,tamp it in a necessary till the stuff sets,when it looks flat,& almost dry,smooth with a 6 inch clean plaster tool,wet it while you polish out the rough surface,the bit of extra water makes a more durable repair,,the stuff dries to rock hard,,,durabond,

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Talk to the home depot or lowe's workers.

A simple sealer (not glue) with a "gun" applicator.

First spread Baking Soda powder around the floor areas below the cracks. And generally other areas in the kitchen.

The Roach will track through the Baking Soda, picking up the granuals on its hairy body. Then when it grooms itself it will swallow the Baking Soda.

When it next drinks, the power will create gas and explode its stomach, eliminating the pest. It is clean and not poisonous to humans and pets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.