Do successful musicians have a higher IQ then the average person?

I define a successful musician as someone who works professionally as a musician and not a hobbyist. Professional musicians which have full time jobs working in music education and know how to read music for and improvise on several instruments. I am also not referring to popular performers, I am referring to successful composers which have written songs that have become popular.

I would like to rephrase my question to "do successful musicians have a higher level of intelligence then an average person" it seems there is a focus on the test itself and not what it represents.

Favorite Answer

An IQ test is really quite good at assessing a person's ability at mathematics... and not so good at assessing any other form of human intelligence.

I can tell you this... there are many great musicians in history that would have gotten a really bad score doing an IQ test.

Brian Johnson, from the Beach Boys, wrote some of the most intensely beautiful music in modern pop history, and he spent a whole year in bed, not interacting with the outside world. This is not a "high IQ" guy, but he gave the world some amazing music. Could Einstein have done that? Hell no.

The "IQ" test is very limited in its ability to recognize intelligence, and talent.

We all put our pants on one leg at a time

those IQ Tests have been PROVEN to be bogus ....................................