Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia ยท 6 months ago

Do living quarters have to take up a quarter of the house?

Like, do living quarters have to take up a quarter of the house to be living quarters or are they just rooms for sleeping and all of that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

This dates back to Roman times when they would divide their camps into four sections, one for ordinary soldiers, one for officers one for storage and one for eating perhaps. Thus you were allocated to your respective quarters. In medieval times towns were also divided into four areas with one reserved for soldiers. Thus they were placed in quarters and food and equipment provided by the quartermaster.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

By your reckoning, how big should "headquarters" be?!

• Steve
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Same word with two different meanings.

• 6 months ago

Quarters in this case does NOT mean 1/4 of a house. It just means where someone lives.

• 6 months ago

I have a one bedroom apartment. The bedroom takes up about that much room. There's also the kitchen and bath that's about another quarter of space.

The front or living room is the rest. To me that's balanced. But I live alone.

Source(s): I think this is a play on word question. It is in trivia for that reason.๐Ÿ˜—๐Ÿ˜—๐Ÿ˜—
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The word "quarters" in this context just means place or location within something else. It derives from older usages referring to a part of a town where certain groups lived and from a term for "military dwelling place" within a military camp.

You wouldn't really use it of a private house, since the whole of a private home represents "living quarters". You could say "sleeping quarters" if you wished.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

it's YOUR house, so that's up to YOU ..............................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.