Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 6 months ago

Should petrol and diesel cars be permanently banned from all city centres in the UK?

Favorite Answer

Well, if you want to get rid of all the petrol and diesel fumes in cities, how else can you do it ?

Electric transport only.

Bicycles.

Publiv transport.

Walk.

There are practical alternatives, but we are a bloody lazy lot, and have a strange liking for being an individual awkward sod, and pissing in the eye of everyone else, particularly if it shows how much of an individual we are.

• F

No just hybrids that pretend to be green. I had a rental one (not a Prius but very similar), and it ran on electric for long enough to get out of a car park and then on petrol for the rest of the time unless you came to a long downhill when it regenerated the batteries enough for 1/2 mile on eletric again.

Yes, but it wouldn't work

• C

Eventually, once we get the logistics of deliveries sorted. Electric vehicles are already advanced enough for urban people carriers, the price needs to come down and charging methods standardised, so that covers the disabled and others who need individual transportation. My council has been increasing their fleet of hybrid buses and soon we'll get hydrogen powered ones too.

• Mr. P

Yes. But it is the larger lorries and trucks that are now more polluting than smaller modern vehicles, so larger trucks and vans should also be banned from cities as well as the cars.

Taxis also have their engines running almost all day and night -so they should be banned too, along with busses which are large and heavy and consume a lot of fuel.

This should lead to all businesses moving out, fewer people working there, and the death of the city - which will make it a lot cleaner.

My answer is I don't care since I live in the US. If I cared the answer would be no, since freedom is more important than a minor climate or traffic issue. There would be a revolution if anybody tried this in the US, and who is going to deliver things or are trucks an exception.

The short answer is: Yes.

The longer answer:

Even without a ban, we will be driving, or more likely getting rides in, electric cars.

The Tesla model 3 performance model is now comparable with BMW in price. It is faster, quieter, cheaper and easier to charge, the average driver could commute to and from work for a week between charges. Charging on a long trip will take half an hour every 4 hours (I like to stop every 2 hours or to stretch my legs anyway and have something to eat every 4 - 6 hours) Battery prices are still tumbling so I expect the price to go down as Tesla gets their manufacturing sorted.

That will leave a second hand market full of relatively good but older internal combustion engines, but over time gas stations will not have sufficient customers to continue operating and it will be harder to to find one.

So there will be challenges to overcome but yes inner cities will ban all petrol and diesel cars, because no sane politician would vote against cleaner cities when a cleaner mode of transport is a viable and cost effective option.

• vulcan_alex

If only any of that was true today, or in sight within decades.

No as public transport is filthy and unsafe. Electric cars are rubbish and try finding somewhere to charge them in rural areas.

Eventually yes once everyone can afford an electric car

• vulcan_alex

I agree but that will be many decades, and the current inventory will need to turn over.

• Lôn

No, of course not...are you a tree-hugging green hippy perchance?

• Lôn

But you don't HAVE to answer your own question do you?...Rather silly!