Anonymous

Having Asperger's, how do I deal with being different and not fitting in?

Sometimes it's difficult because people treat you differently and it makes you feel like an outsider.

Have you decided you are different and don't fit in? Do you have unrealistic expectations. Are you trying to be neurotypical?Do you seek out people who share your interests or are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? I felt much like you until I decided it was Ok that my friends were not the most popular kids in school. They were geeky, outspoken intelligent, and were mostly loners. When I looked at my 10 year reunion alumni book, these friends had all left the area and were working in highly successful prominent jobs. The rest rarely left the state and had a lot of labor intensive jobs.

You are different. But that can be a good difference if you make up your mind to see it that way. My middle grand-kid is Asperger's. He relishes his difference and has used it to his advantage. He's running for Class President at a university in Oregon this year for example.

When he was in Middle School, my grand-kid did a paper about famous people with Asperger's. Bill Gates and Al Einstein are Asperger's. And they used their differences to make big marks in our world.

You can do the same...with the right attitude.

• Please your grandchild is not is Asperger s. They are a person with Asperger syndrome or Asperger s. Theire is far more to your grandchild than their diagnosis.

there are many support groups

locate and join one