I have a question about washer and dryer in my small apartment?

I live in a small apartment. The building has washers and dryers in the basement. Most of them don't work, so I am thinking in buying my own w/d. But I have two questions about it: will my bill increase substantially? Where is the water for the machine going to come from?

• John P

You need to get a local person who knows to check for you.

• Ocimom

Its best to talk to the landlord. They may be a valid reason that washer/dryers are NOT in the apartment. If you can't have one, then its the landlord's responsibility to have the ones in the basement fixed so they are working. Maybe he is not aware of them being broken.

• F

Drying take alot of power but if you have to pay to use a communal machine, it's unlikely they are going to charge you less than cost, so overall that's not an issue. It's quite simple to plumb a washing machine in near a sink, say in the kitchen. In Europe at least, most machines just have a cold feed, so you need one connection in, (you can get self cutting connectors that tap into the cold supply, and then connection to the waste pipe, which is normally plastic screw or push fit connectors..

water will come from a tap that will be installed in the kitchen where depends on the kitchen .

Yes you electricity bill will go up

You need to discuss this with your landlord first because most apartments do not have the hook-ups for a washer and a dryer.

• Ann

It probably would be better for you to take your clothes to a laundromat, where you can get the clothes washed and dried. Spend a couple of hours there once a week, and your problem is solved.

The LL will not allow you to do that because you have no laundry room. Bug the landlord to get the basement machines in good working order (or go to a laundromat). Or do laundry in bathtub and then string a clothes line all around the apartment so the clothes can air dry and the room gets moldy.

End of story.

• bond

You can buy small portable units that connect to the kitchen sink, then roll them away when not using it. Only cost a couple dollars a month to run them.

Depends on how often you wash and dry your clothes.

It’s probably a few dollars at the most for every wash and 1 hour drying time. It’s not like the air conditioning where it can costs several hundreds during the really hot months.

Water for the washer comes from the water line. If you have room in the kitchen next to the sink, that would be the best place to put it since it’s close to a water line.

Does your apartment have the groundworks for a washer and dryer. The dryer will need a vent for the hot air to escape unless you want to live in a hot humid apartment while you’re drying your clothes.

Maybe you need to fix the waster dryers ij basement, whats wrong with them?